Honored Contributor

It's a big 0

In all my decades of living, I've never felt weird about a birthday. This one bugs me a little - though it's better than the alternative. 

In my head, I'm still 35. My body tells me otherwise. I'm not frail but my stamina is changing. I see Mom when I look in the mirror. I still do heavy duty work in the yard and house. I have a fun social life. My kids are wonderful, successful, and happy.

I remember my parents turning 30 and every decade after. They never quit living life and I don't plan to either.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely hated turning 60 and those years that came after it.  If someone asked I would say 59+ however many years it was.

This year I will be 70 and not sure how I feel about it yet.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I absolutely hated turning 60 and those years that came after it.  If someone asked I would say 59+ however many years it was.

I will also be 70 in 2025 and its kind of blowing my mind

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor
What blows my mind-my oldest
Is 60 and my youngest 51! I said you are making g me look bad with your gray hair lol. I still get my hair done ,etc As my cardiologist said “you are a young 80!

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart @CelticCrafter 

I just turned 72 this year and cannot believe how young and optimistic I feel!

Same things hit me too...

Looking in the mirror I think

"I look better than at any other time in my life"

Wore my Kim Gravel Color Crush Bahama Blue top and Citrus Lime pant and GOT LOOKS FROM MEN! WHAT?

I had to run and look myself in the large glass window at our office!

OTOH, some health issues are starting to appear and my stamina isn't really there...but hey, get these corrected and I'm THERE!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

The big "0" birthdays have never bothered me, something exciting happened with each decade. However, when I turned 70, I felt like I'd been hit with something, and something not nice. My stamina has dwindled even though I haven't changed much in what I do. I did retire in '16 and my job pretty much involved lots of activity, but I've started doing housework and yardwork more than I ever could when I was working. Daily walks and trying to get in 8,000 to 10,000 steps daily doesn't seem to help. And don't get me started on the saggy skin and fat pockets where there never were any before. 

When I turned 30, I thought it would be terrible since in my youth the mantra was not to trust anyone over 30! Thinking back, I believe my 50s and 60s were the best.

One great thing about the 70s is that I'm forging new old friendships that seem to be much more stronger than before when other things were on my plate. I've reconnected with two casual friends from my high school days that have become my best friends now. 

You can feel "weird" but make sure to look for all your blessings in each day above ground.

Honored Contributor

The worst "0" birthday for me was turning 20!  I wasn't a teenager anymore and for some reason that depressed me--LOL!!  I've had 5 more "0" birthdays and no big deal for those!  I just accept the limitations in stamina and mobility and am grateful that I get around as well as I do and have no known health issues.  

Respected Contributor
Can’t say turning any “0” age has bothered me. Did not expect to be here at 68 to begin with. So every birthday is fine with me. Yes, have slowed down a bit, put on some weight, sagging here and there, not a big deal. I can live with it. Still married to the man I love since college. We have a great life together travel a lot, do the things we like when we want. Enjoy our grown children and their successful lives. Volunteer in our town, enjoy our friends. I Could not ask for a better life. So adding another birthday to my life is ok with me.
Honored Contributor

Enjoy having birthdays it beats the alternative.

Living has been denied to many, enjoy every birthday.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I will also be 70 in 2025 and its kind of blowing my mind

@I am still oxox   I agree turning 70 was a shocker, but then I realized I still had my DH, granddaughters, a career still going, health issues (thank God) had not altered my life and I was grateful.