Honored Contributor

Beyonce's Dad Has Breast Cancer

Mathew Knowles has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Beyonce and Solange's dad is opening up about his personal battle for the first time -- he's planning to discuss it on 'GMA' Wednesday morning. It's unclear how recently Mathew was diagnosed.

While breast cancer in male patients is rare, some of the numbers are alarming ... especially for Mathew.

Less than 1 percent of all breast cancer cases involve men. However, it's most frequently diagnosed in men between the ages of 60 and 70. Mathew is 67 years old.

Also, the median age for black male patients with breast cancer is 63.

According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, the mortality rate for men is higher than it is for female patients.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beyonce's Dad Has Breast Cancer

@KingstonsMom 

I wonder if the mortality rate is higher in men  due to the fact that they are most likely being diagnosed at a later stage. 

Honored Contributor

Ah.  Yesterday I saw an advertisement for the show.  Michael was doing the interview, but I didn't catch who the guest was.  Hope he is doing well.

Honored Contributor

The overall 5 year survival rate for men is 84%. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is always distressing to learn that anyone has breast cancer. Obviously with his notoreity, more awareness, education and funding for research will follow suit. My prayers go out to him and his family as they come to terms with such a devestating diagnosis.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I did not hear the interview, but they said on The Talk today that he is carrying the BC Gene and is very concerned for his daughters. Maybe they will need to be tested. 

Esteemed Contributor

Always sad when anyone gets cancer. I hope he pulls through.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

I wonder if the mortality rate is higher in men  due to the fact that they are most likely being diagnosed at a later stage. 

May be but my guess is that it's a rare occurrence so they are tested for a lot of other things before they think to test for breast cancer.  

Honored Contributor

How awful.  He's having the 2nd breast removed in January as a precaution.

He re-married in 2013 and since has had two children.

He seems very hopeful.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

May be but my guess is that it's a rare occurrence so they are tested for a lot of other things before they think to test for breast cancer.  

He mentioned the stage (1A--?) and it seems it was caught early.  He said he noticed a pin dot of blood on his tee shirts for a couple of days.  So he went to the doctor.