Valued Contributor

Beware of Tramadol...sisters dog having seizures!

You guys may already know about this....I didnt & my sister didnt! She had to have surgery on her little dog because of his back knee Tuesday & on her way home from picking him up he suddenly started having a seizure! I am so glad she didnt have a wreck because she got so upset. Took him back to vet & vet said oh dont worry it is probably the Tramadol I gave him. Well, she took him back home...he sleep for a couple of hours & woke up having another seizure. Called vet she said he will get over it soon dont worry. Well after this one he started growling & showing his teeth to my sister & wandering all over the house. He is such a lovable little dog. Loves everyone. She took him out, again he just wandered around the yard & started walking off into the woods behind their house. Her & her husband got him back & had to put him in his crate. They woke up at 5 this am with him having another seizure. This time he kept trying to bite them! She called the vet & took him back in. They kept him & have him on fluids because he won't eat or drink. They actually had to muzzle him! He is maybe 25lbs. about 9 yrs old. We are all so worried about him. Vet said this was first time she had ever gave him the tramadol. He had surgery on the other knee, no problem but the vet never gave him any pain meds. We are waiting to hear how he is doing. Vet said she would let us know something around 2. Just wanted to post this about the tramidol since on line it lists seizures & aggresivness. Wish the vet would have told my sister this before she gave it & let her have the choice to give it or not. Please keep the little guy in your prayers. His name is Mojo. My sister is just beside herself worried. I figure she is blaming herself too because she took him to get the surgery when we know it had to be done & not anything to blame herself for.