Honored Contributor

Re: Beware Another Scam(sorry this is long)

I got 'call blocker' takes care of nuisances

Honored Contributor

I get the 'lower your interest rate' calls almost daily. And they do leave messages on the machine.

We have also had what I call 'redirected calls' several times lately. We actually dial out to a company we are familiar with, but instead of that company picking up, it is  a foreign speaking person, wanting to get us signed up for our free $100 gift card or some other such nonsense.

When asked who they are, if they are under contract with the actual business we called, where they are located, what the name of their business is etc. they get really angry and frustrated, and just keep bullying you for your information. 

We hang up, call the original company we first tried to contact, and the second call goes straight in to where it was supposed to. 

Each time, we report it to the legit company (and so far none of them say the have contracted to have anything like this done), and we have tried to notify 'authorities' but no one is the least bit interested. Tried local law enforcement, phone company etc. and no one is interested in taking the information or seems to care. 

Best to always take your time when on the phone, and not be pushed into giving out information until you are sure who you are speaking with. We used to be safe, if we were doing the calling, to speak freely with the business we were contacting (most of the warnings were about not giving out information to people who called you), but that is no longer the case.

Honored Contributor

When we receive these calls ( and we block as many as we can) we just say we do not have any credit cards.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

What on earth would Walgreens have to do with credit cards..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always let my answering machine do my call screening and have call blocker on my smart phone....I only accept and take calls from those I know.....

Watch out for email scams too.....got a fraudulent one regarding my health insurance.....it was from the right company but I noticed it didnt have the last 4 of my account number nor my name so I contacted the insurance company and forwarded it to their @abuse so it would go to their Fraud Department for investigation....and I did NOT open any links (sometimes there is a virus attached to the links)........  Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I have heard that if you answer the phone, they can do things with your voice, and involve it in a scam. I just let the phone ring.

Esteemed Contributor

I got rid of my land line phone. Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

In the month or two I've had Nomorobo, that's the one call that consistently gets through - offers to "lower the interest rate on all your credit cards."  I guess it's because they spoof or change their number every single time.  I always report them to Nomorobo.  Other than that, however, it's worked like a charm - and it's free.  And - knock on wood - I haven't heard from them in a week or two so maybe Nomorobo figured out a way to block them.

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 - got rid of my landline too, now they call on the cell phone! They stop at nothing! Now, I block all numbers I don't recognize.

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@apple1964 - got rid of my landline too, now they call on the cell phone! They stop at nothing! Now, I block all numbers I don't recognize.

I have not  as of yet had any problems with those kind of numbers. Must be the virus protection I have on the phone.