Honored Contributor

Re: Better buy what you want/need now -- prices going up...

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

I noticed prices going up in our grocery stores way before the pandemic-----

This is current in South Texas---

Well if you are in the market for furniture or a bed move here....  Every 10 minutes it seems there's a local commercial for a furniture/bed sale...They have extended their Memorial Day Sales and are offering Special Deals  and other special offers.....

Rooms To Go

Bob Mills Furniture

Ashley Furniture

Stowers Furniture

Gas is $1.57...there are some out of the way places charging $1.19 here......

HEB Grocery Store Items---

Chicken Breasts (store brand) $3.90 lb....theres a value pack for $2.90 lb 

Ground Chuck $4.00 lb store brand

Butter  $3.52

Eggs dozen $3.58

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

(Publix and everyday prices go up -- for me really not a problem because I don't buy big quantities of food.

The other day we went to Sam's the meats are definitely higher.

I assume all things are "relative"...and of course, by areas.

(Pretty glad I'm not in N.J. taking the turnpike & gs parkway anymore big toll raises, property taxes, and more.)

@Spurt 

he wants new furniture and mattress -- I'll send him down (lucky you😉) because he's always looking for the best deal -- me want it buy it!  Shopping with him is no picnic...lol

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

(Publix and everyday prices go up -- for me really not a problem because I don't buy big quantities of food.

The other day we went to Sam's the meats are definitely higher.

I assume all things are "relative"...and of course, by areas.

(Pretty glad I'm not in N.J. taking the turnpike & gs parkway anymore big toll raises, property taxes, and more.)

@Spurt 

he wants new furniture and mattress -- I'll send him down (lucky you😉) because he's always looking for the best deal -- me want it buy it!  Shopping with him is no picnic...lol

@homedecor1 

Send him down Smiley Wink .... Mattress Firm has a good sale going on....a friend just bought one...Trust me, if I can go on shopping trips with my sister (took her 5 hours in THE SAME STORE to buy a lamp)...your DH will be a piece of cake .Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I am in southern West Virginia, and prices started jumping significantly here, in April.   

90% of my shopping is done at IGA, which is locally owned.   They have done an incredible job of keeping the store stocked, but doing so is costing them, and us, more money.  

I mainly buy the same things every month, and in comparing receipts, my total last week was $26 higher for basic food items.   I am not letting our basic supplies get low.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

I wonder what will happen to all those people pockets that insists clothing been made in USWoman Embarassed

I don't know, may be they are awfully rich 🤑 

Can't wait for clothes to be made in the USA - they won't be toxic - u know, that chemical smell. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't think anyone expected the gas to remain that low.  Heck, I got gas here in Ohio for $.99 a couple of weeks ago.  It is now $2.09.

Meat has definitely gone up.  My DH went to buy some meat to make homemade beef jerky and it cost more than $2.00 a pound more than he paid the last time.  This is because of the problems at the meat processing plants.

Milk has gone up which they said was going to happen.  I think I paid $2.32 for the last gallon I bought and the time prior I paid $1.55.  I didn't notice the increase in eggs.  Pretty much since the beginning our store has a 1 page ad and there are signs all over that they will not offer rainchecks and they don't guarantee the marked prices are correct.  

Store shelves continue to remain empty in some areas.  Still very low cleaning supplies at my local Giant Eagle, absolutely no boxed mac n cheese, very little rice and pasta and practically no canned soups.  Those items have been out since the beginning and just aren't being restocked.  My DH is an OJ drinker and I always bought the 50% less sugar variety but this past week there was absolutely none to be found.  There was plenty of regular OJ though.

Even Tractor Supply has empty shelves.  No bird feeders, bird food was in very short supply and lots of empty shelves where dog treats and some pet foods normally are.        

I live in southern Calif. - and gas is almost $3.00/gallon.

Super Contributor

Groceries are definitly higher. We are eating more beans snd lentils and i am having fun with new recipies. I also tried canned chicken from Sams for tacos and  my family noticed no difference. I talked with someone that worked at Homegoods and he saiid the only inventory coming in in the forseeable future were items from other stores that are staying closed. The store had around 40% less inventory. My sister told me today as they are in Flordia that her husband struggled to replace his lost sunglasses at a TJ maxx. There are still shortages. I read today that pasta sauce. canned fruit, frozen vegtables and canned tomatoes could become more difficult to find. We make homemade pizzas and mozzarella has been more sparce. I am stocking extra as I would prefer less trips in the future. We have garden beds and we are hoping for extra vegetables this Summer and early Fall.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

I see prices up, but it is oddly sporadic, even within the same store over the course of a couple of weeks. 

Sam's Club had beef, and same low price, then they had none, then they had SOME, higher price, then a few days later had SOME, and lowered to the previous regular price, 

More so than price increases, I see no sales. The stores have started running a weekly circular again, but the prices are terrible. At first when this started, their ads contained one or two pages of almost nothing but produce. Now ads contain more variety of all grocery departments, but high prices.

Ohio has really good grocery prices (even now, but especially before covid), especially the middle of the state where I live. The grocery sales the last year have been spectacular, low prices, frequent, and covered all categories. Now, things are pretty much regular price, which feels expensive after so many years of rock bottom sales. 

Glad I was stocked as well as I was, and filling in my shortages as I can, because while part of me thinks the worst of this all is over (dramatic rise in cases/deaths, supply shortages/limits/high prices) or will be in the next month or so, I can't help the nagging feeling that there could be a second wave, it could be worse, or there could be things come up in the next 6 to 12 months to pile on what we are already dealing with (like what is happening in Minnesota right now with civil unrest, or hurricanes, or other natural disasters that could add to an already fragile system).

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Dinaki wrote:

I wonder what will happen to all those people pockets that insists clothing been made in USWoman Embarassed

I don't know, may be they are awfully rich 🤑 

No ,not rich ,just want our country to have jobs.

There are a few clothing companies that manufacture here, and they are expensive realtive to cheap imports. 

I figure I have a couple of choices if I don't want to buy Chinese made clothing. 

I can certainly live with fewer pieces, think carefully about what I buy and pay the higher price for American made. It really isn't all that hard to do for many people, even those who aren't rich. Most Americans (especially women) have so many clothes they never wear. You see it here in the decluttering thread. People giving away or taking to consignment on a regular basis, bags and bags and bags full. Is that pattern really necessary, buy and spend money on things we never even wear? It really isn't. Many can afford to spend the same amount, just buy fewer things made here at higher prices. 

Or, there is always second hand. It's a cheap way to have more, support charities or small businesses, and not give the dollars to foreign companies or governments, regardless of where the second hand garments were originally made.