Esteemed Contributor

Re: Better buy what you want/need now -- prices going up...

I think the inventory depends on where you live.  Pricing by me has gone up considerably.  My last instacart order had a lot of refunds because items weren't available.  The shopper might have been rushing it though, cause some items I found hard to believe were out of stock.

Our local supermarket has had price increases for the past two months.  I'm not sure if they are still rationing certain food items at this time.

Honored Contributor

Just DH and I.  Our shopping bill runs maybe $50 a week.  We just do not require a lot of food. Eat lots of vegies....not a lot of animal protein. It depends on what you are buying.  If you eat healthy, stay away from junk food, it is not that expensive.  
And yes, prices go up and down....I just adjust my budget accordingly.

Respected Contributor

I think we will probably see a lot of price increases.  As to the COVID surcharge for example, it's interesting that when restaurants couldn't open and lost a large percentage of their business only doing takeout and delivery - many said - Oh "we're all in this together."  They need to "do what's right to keep us all safe." And many really didn't appreciate - or even care - about how those owning these business - or those laid off - were faring.

We probably won't hear much "we're all in this together" when it comes to helping these folks get back on their feet.  Sad.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday, the supermarket I shopped in had ground chuck for $2.99, Hellmann's for $3, premium butter for $2.99, etc. I am in the Mid-Atlantic area.

I think they're gouging in anticipation of shortages and hoarding because hurricane season is starting. Or because your state's name begins with F. Who knows?

But it seems to be a local experience, so the warning should apply to Floridians, if anyone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think anyone expected the gas to remain that low.  Heck, I got gas here in Ohio for $.99 a couple of weeks ago.  It is now $2.09.

Meat has definitely gone up.  My DH went to buy some meat to make homemade beef jerky and it cost more than $2.00 a pound more than he paid the last time.  This is because of the problems at the meat processing plants.

Milk has gone up which they said was going to happen.  I think I paid $2.32 for the last gallon I bought and the time prior I paid $1.55.  I didn't notice the increase in eggs.  Pretty much since the beginning our store has a 1 page ad and there are signs all over that they will not offer rainchecks and they don't guarantee the marked prices are correct.  

Store shelves continue to remain empty in some areas.  Still very low cleaning supplies at my local Giant Eagle, absolutely no boxed mac n cheese, very little rice and pasta and practically no canned soups.  Those items have been out since the beginning and just aren't being restocked.  My DH is an OJ drinker and I always bought the 50% less sugar variety but this past week there was absolutely none to be found.  There was plenty of regular OJ though.

Even Tractor Supply has empty shelves.  No bird feeders, bird food was in very short supply and lots of empty shelves where dog treats and some pet foods normally are.        

Honored Contributor

Yes, let's start stockpiling again.  That was fun.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I think we will probably see a lot of price increases.  As to the COVID surcharge for example, it's interesting that when restaurants couldn't open and lost a large percentage of their business only doing takeout and delivery - many said - Oh "we're all in this together."  They need to "do what's right to keep us all safe." And many really didn't appreciate - or even care - about how those owning these business - or those laid off - were faring.

We probably won't hear much "we're all in this together" when it comes to helping these folks get back on their feet.  Sad.

@Isobel Archer I'm the one who posted about the surcharge.  We ate out a lot during the shutdown specifically to help our local favorites and we will continue to patronize them surcharge or not. 

I think businesses were given the holy shaft in all this, sometimes for no real apparent reason when you consider the amount of contact in the grocery stores and big box stores that were open.  In my state, drive-in theaters were not allowed strictly because they were considered an entertainment venue.  And then there was the case in MI where you couldn't buy certain products even though they were on the shelves of the stores that were allowed to open.  So random.  

Honored Contributor

My hubby just spent 200 at our local Stop and Shop, he did get meat and fruit, but 200 is startling to me

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Also known as hoarding.

Respected Contributor

I filled up my car with gas when the price was high, last week in Feb or first week in March, just before the Southeast Florida lockdown. 

I still haven't re-filled it!  Still have half a tank. I've been working long hours from home and I shop for groceries and do PO/bank errands about once a week. 

No money for gas is even better than low money Smiley Happy. My location is a big factor: the Publix is only about a mile away.