Trusted Contributor

Re: Best song from a movie...

I want to add another one.  The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha.

Honored Contributor

"Hello Dolly" Barbra Streisand joyously strutting around proclaiming! Sweet return. Then Louie B chimes in, Doesn't get any better. Holds special meaning for me GrandFather called me Dolly never more so than now relocating to civilization from woods of Adirondacks. Best analogy rebirth of reclaiming myself. I'am back where I belong.🙋
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

THe Way We Were from the Movie of the same name.  PErhaps the OP should have clarified her question more.  SO many songs from movies were not written for the movie but came from the Broadway show that was made into a movie or were simply songs that already existed that were simply used in the movie like Unchained Melody. To me they are songs used in a movie but hardly songs written for the movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree   Laura is my favorite movie and my favorite song. Gene Tierney is my favorite actress. I didn't name my daughters Laura but my BFF did name her daughter Laura. We saw the movie together and both were  haunted by it and by the song-all our lives. She sure had a tragic life, didn't she.

I also think La Vie en Rose had a great soundtrack. That Edith Piaf. Wow. One of a kind. The trill in her voice gives me chills.

As been said, just too many and when you want to you can't think of one.

Honored Contributor

@SoX Nah, the Righteous Brothers blew Al Hibbler away. No contest. (sorry, but it's true).

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's the "best" song from a movie, but I immediately thought of "All The Way From Memphis" from one of my favorite films of all time, "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore".  Has a great soundtrack, too.

Maybe one of the most beautiful (to me anyway) is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline...  Smiley Happy  LOL ...

A ten year difference in technology and style ... but I'm a purist ... Hibbler's  my choice.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

@Candyapple wrote:
I love so many of the songs that were posted! Another one I love is the theme song from The Young and the Restless, although that's a soap opera, not a movie.

the theme song from young and restless is " Bless the Beasts and the Children"  a movie from the seventies

@fourpaws56

One of the best singers ever, Karen Carpenter, did a beautiful version on this song.  I have it on CD. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

Great topic, so many wonderful songs. I'd like to add You'll Never Walk Alone from Carousel. Also, from Les Miz, Empty Chairs At Empty Tables 

and Bring Him Home.

@itsmetoo

Also from Carousel, the "Soliloquy."  Gordon MacRae (be still, my heart) and his great baritone voice . . . the song goes on for at least 20 minutes when he sings on the beach about having a son (My Boy Bill), then having a daughter (My Little Girl).  Fantastic scene.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another great . . . "Moonglow and the Theme from Picnic."

Formerly Ford1224