Respected Contributor

Re: Best prices on printer paper and ink?

@ValuSkr wrote:

You should never pay for paper, if multi-purpose suits your needs.  As another poster said, Staples frequently has deals like a five-ream case for $1.00 or a ream for $.01 (both after coupon and rebate).  As for a printer, go with a Brother laser printer.  Toner cartridges are much less expensive per copy than ink cartridges.  If you need to print in color, that may be another story, I've never made a comparison.  You can sometimes get a very good Brother laser printer (black only) at Staples for less than $50 on sale.

A lot of things I don't know! Thanks for the advice! I've already bought and started using a Canon. Like it so far.

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining, first, congratulations on starting a small business! They are what keeps America up and running, and you will never feel better about the amount of hours you put into your venture. I am not in business anymore, but still buy paper and ink for my Canon and HP. There are some good suggestions here for your business. I usually buy mine from Costco, and wait until they have a "Buy 1, get 25% off your 2nd" sale. Good luck!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

As circumstances would have it, I am set for life for printer paper.

But for ink, I've usually just gotten mine at Amazon for good prices.  But I don't buy re-filled or generic, so it is relative.  Smiley Happy  

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Silver Lining, first, congratulations on starting a small business! They are what keeps America up and running, and you will never feel better about the amount of hours you put into your venture. I am not in business anymore, but still buy paper and ink for my Canon and HP. There are some good suggestions here for your business. I usually buy mine from Costco, and wait until they have a "Buy 1, get 25% off your 2nd" sale. Good luck!

@MaggieMack, thank you so much for the encouragement!!! This has been my aspiration for a long time.

Regular Contributor

Ink-Ebay Paper-depending on what you want printed (quality) prob wal mart or your local store. Although, you might be able to get a good deal on ebay as well. Possibly bulk or free shipping, no tax- although in case I am being monitored, always pay the use tax at the end of the yearSmiley Happy
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

But for ink, I've usually just gotten mine at Amazon for good prices.  But I don't buy re-filled or generic, so it is relative.  Smiley Happy  

Ha! I know how that is! I thought I was, too, but already making a dent in it. The amount of ink is a concern. Thank you for the recomendation and advice. I have used refilled and generic ink cartridges in my simple hp printer at home, but, like you, I can't take a chance with my new printer.

Respected Contributor

@fuzzball76 wrote:
Ink-Ebay Paper-depending on what you want printed (quality) prob wal mart or your local store. Although, you might be able to get a good deal on ebay as well. Possibly bulk or free shipping, no tax- although in case I am being monitored, always pay the use tax at the end of the yearSmiley Happy

@fuzzball76, do you by some chance have a fuzzy dog or cat? Thanks so much for the ideas! We pay 10% sales tax here and it really stings (and stinks!), especially when you spend something like $75 and have to pay $82.50. It really adds up!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Silver Lining wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Ha! I know how that is! I thought I was, too, but already making a dent in it. The amount of ink is a concern. Thank you for the recomendation and advice. I have used refilled and generic ink cartridges in my simple hp printer at home, but, like you, I can't take a chance with my new printer.

Yeah, now you'll definitely need more paper.  Since my use is pretty small now and I even stopped printing up each time I pay a bill (what a waste - I have the confirmation numbers in my checkbook!), I don't use much.  I have so many reams of printer paper that I had to create a place to put it. 

The thing with refilled/generic ink cartridges is that they may work for some printers but when they don't - it's really bad.  I've known numerous people who killed their printer that way.  OTOH, I've also known several who have always used the refilled/generic cartridges. 

Since I don't use a ton, I'm fine with the price when I find what I consider a good price.

Also, I have noticed that the laser printers, which used to cost a ton of money for home/small business use, have really come down in price.  That can be a choice, but you also have to get the toner.   

I continue to just have inkjet printers but if I were ever to start another business I would contemplate a laser.

ETA - I have always kept one to two sets of cartridges on hand but I would make sure not to buy so many sets that they are sitting around for long periods.

I have two Canons.  One is fax and all. The other is just the reg print/scan/copy.  That second one is a major pain whenever I have to change my network.  But the one with fax has a screen where you can pair it up to the new router.  The other one has to be completely reinstalled every time.   I finally wrote it down this time. ha!  Every time I'd forget what I did last time.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Yeah, now you'll definitely need more paper.  Since my use is pretty small now and I even stopped printing up each time I pay a bill (what a waste - I have the confirmation numbers in my checkbook!), I don't use much.  I have so many reams of printer paper that I had to create a place to put it. 

The thing with refilled/generic ink cartridges is that they may work for some printers but when they don't - it's really bad.  I've known numerous people who killed their printer that way.  OTOH, I've also known several who have always used the refilled/generic cartridges. 

Since I don't use a ton, I'm fine with the price when I find what I consider a good price.

Also, I have noticed that the laser printers, which used to cost a ton of money for home/small business use, have really come down in price.  That can be a choice, but you also have to get the toner.   

I continue to just have inkjet printers but if I were ever to start another business I would contemplate a laser.

ETA - I have always kept one to two sets of cartridges on hand but I would make sure not to buy so many sets that they are sitting around for long periods.

I have two Canons.  One is fax and all. The other is just the reg print/scan/copy.  That second one is a major pain whenever I have to change my network.  But the one with fax has a screen where you can pair it up to the new router.  The other one has to be completely reinstalled every time.   I finally wrote it down this time. ha!  Every time I'd forget what I did last time.

I am so lucky that my business partners have more sense than I do about several things. We all have certain skills but mine don't include technical ability. I researched, compared, looked, talked, bought and paid for the Canon, but had to wait for them to program it and show me how to use it. Thanks for all the handy hints. You're a sweetheart. I appreciate all of the tesponses!!