Honored Contributor

Re: Best online place to sell clothing?

@moonandthestars 

I understand what you're saying.  I know that Good Will for the most part does just apply the same prices for all clothing.  The only time I have noticed higher prices was when I have seen a few times handbags such as Coach or something.  The last time I purged a lot of clothing after I retired, I had a ton of clothing and shoes that I had never worn, a lot with the tags on, but I just didn't want the hassle and I figured many women would be thrilled to get them, so that's why I just donated.  It's fine whatever you want to do and feel comortable doing!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I've tried online auctions, garage sales, and consignment stores.  Not worth the effort.  What we do is donate to local homeless charities or Goodwill, get a receipt for the donation, then take a deduction for the donation off our income taxes.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

A number of years ago I took a ton of clothes to a local consignment shop.  She was so excited to have everything.  About a week or so after I dropped everything off, she sent me a list of what I dropped off and the prices she was asking.  I was shocked at how high the prices were. Some of the prices were higher than I had paid for the stuff brand new.  As I suspected, she claimed only 2 items sold, weeks after I had taken everything in so it was deeply discounted.  I ended up with under $20.00 and she donated everything that didn't sell.  I don't for a minute believe nothing sold.  I think I got ripped off.  The place is no longer in business.

We also have a place where you can take clothing and they offer you money for it on the spot and then resell it.  Again, you don't really get anything for your items.  I had a barely used (used it for 2 days and decided it was too small) Coach purse and they were going to give me $15.00 for it.  I ended up walking out with all of my stuff. I would rather donate it than let them rip me off and make money.

I have a number of handbags I'd like to get rid of but I'm not sure what to do.  I know someone who sells on Poshmark and she said it's kind of a pain.  I don't think I would get enough to even warrant that headache.  I've checked PM out and they seem very saturated with at least one of the handbags I want to sell.  I thought about putting them on our local FB garage sale site but not sure I want to bother with that either.       

Super Contributor

Sorry for the slow reply on this. I haven't signed into my account for awhile. To answer your question about gift wrapping for Poshmark, I believe the expectation was that the item was supposed to be presented as a gift when it was opened. I took that to mean tissue paper and ribbon. That's what I did. Maybe the website doesn't say that anymore. At any rate, I'm sure that not everyone bothers with it.
Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars I tried using ThredUp but (a few years ago anyway) they would only accept higher-end clothing and only from certain brands or designers.  They had a lot of stipulations regarding the age and condition of the items too.

I've sold many things on eBay but we've also had success using Marketplace on Facebook.  We've also sold things in our immediate area through Nextdoor.

Trusted Contributor

Facebook Marketplace