Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, coupon codes, etc. for getting the best deal on a car rental.  I live in a rural area, and my options are limited, but I would be willing to drive a bit farther for pick up and drop off if I could find a good deal.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Best deals on car rentals?

We use Costco

Esteemed Contributor

Costco has good prices.

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately I don't have a Costco anywhere near me.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

You don't have to go to Costco, you book online. You do have to have a membership though.

Super Contributor

Good deals on rental cars are hard to come by. Even if we think we have a good deal, we always end up paying more than we originally planned.  We usually use Enterprise. If you happen to be a member of Allstate Motor Club you can get coupons for discounts or upgrades from them. Renting a car is just an expense that we just put up with, knowing we are going to spend more than we should.  It is the price we pay to have a car on vacation or when needed.

Honored Contributor

Watch out for any of the really good deals because many times, they turn out to be a scam. 

DH and I rented a car in Tampa back in May to drive to Fort Myers Beach.  There were some really cheap places at the airport but we read reviews and they were horrible.  Despite reserving cars, there were none when people arrived, the type of vehicle they reserved was gone and they ended up with a much smaller car or a much bigger car they had to pay more for, wait times to obtain vehicle was hours long, etc.

We have AAA and they use Hertz but when I called AAA, the rate was a lot more than we were able to do on our own through another rental company.

We ended up using Alamo. They were the best price and they were fantastic to deal with.  We paid more because we were returning the car in a different city than we rented from.     

Honored Contributor

i recently went through AAA who had some good deals via HERTZ..

you may want to stop by there if you are a member.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I've always found Enterprise easy to deal with and their prices were pretty good. 

Trusted Contributor

We had a blowout on a major highway with a budget/Avis rental.  Didn't take the insurance.  I was charged 468$.  1/2 was for the tire, other half for what they claimed was undercarriage damage.  I was a long time Budget customer. Had to pay the whole thing.  Others have had the same situation with Budget/Avis.  Be aware. I'm using Enterprise now.