Honored Contributor

Re: Best deals on car rentals?

I just looked on Groupon for a limo deal and the only thing that came up was car rentals.  You might try that.

We have an airlines card and it shows you how much for about 10 different companies--how much it's going to cost.  Even those little extra fees.

We rent cars a lot.  Will be twice next month alone due to traveling.  I don't necessarily take the cheapest, but the vehicle I want to drive.

I think you can go on Priceline or Expedia, also to rent a car.  They should give you some options to compare.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98

Retailmenot has discounts also. 

Valued Contributor

A friend recommended Costco several years ago  Best advice they have ever given me.  The best deals on rental cards hands down.  You book online and pick up at whatever vendor you are using.  They have all the major brands.  Also when you book through Costco, you can add a second driver free of charge.  Since I'm a Budget member, I usually book one of their cars.  This year I have two weeks in Rhode Island for a full size car for $429 for the full two weeks.

Honored Contributor

We have AAA, AARP, Costco, credits cards that offer special rates and still whenever we rent a car, it is never a bargain. The day, weekend or weekly rates look good, but by the time they add taxes and various charges, it seems like the rates almost double.

At home we used Enterprise because they brought the car to us.  Then we reserved a car at O'Hare.  Our flight was delayed so I called ahead and told them we were late.  I was told no problem, someone would be on duty no matter when we arrived.  Our plane landed shortly before 9:00PM.  By the time we got our bags, it was close to 9:20.  The Enterprise counter was closed but there was a sign telling us to catch the bus to pick up our car.  We waited well past 10. (and saw every car company bus go by multiple times)  Finally we asked a sky cap about Enterprise.  He said their buses stopped running at 9.

Never again.

Trusted Contributor

I just looked on retailmenot, and none of their deals apply in my area.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I've used Enterprise for years, because of the pick up/drop off feature and they have always been lower for me than Hertz or Avis. I've always had excellent service and no complaints at all. 

As others have said, car rentals are never cheap. I don't take the insurances they offer for extra fees. My insurance covers 75% of what could go wrong and I bite the bullet and hope as far as the other 25%.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I had to rent a car in Dallas a few weeks ago.   I first booked on Southwest and then remembered my AAA membership.   Went there and the same category of car from Hertz there was about 35% cheaper through AAA.   I grabbed it.  

Honored Contributor

I use Enterprise but I never rent from airport. I'm lucky they have a enterprise 10 min from airport so I don't have to pay the excessive charges for airport rental.  I also love the weekend deal $9.99/day any car.  I travel  Thurs-Tuesday when I get great cheap airfare!

never had any problems and been renting over 15 years with them at different locations.  Even when my company comes here I book them a Enterprise (15 min from house) but I like they "pick you up"!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the responses, everyone!