Esteemed Contributor

In Jan SS goes up nominally. Want to donate this add'l $$$ to a charity that saves the poor defenseless animals. I know it's not much, but figure every little counts. My baby girl is a rescue dog who was starved and abused. It breaks my heart to think about it. (She's very happy now though - and rules the roost!). Anyways, I'd appreciate advice as to which charities expend the highest percentage of donations to help save these poor animals, thus spending the least amount on administrative costs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Honored Contributor

Do you order from Amazon?

If you do, you can check if your rescue organization is listed, and when you go to smile.amazon.com they will donate a portion of the sale to the organization.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/24/2014 lolakimono said:

Do you order from Amazon?

If you do, you can check if your rescue organization is listed, and when you go to smile.amazon.com they will donate a portion of the sale to the organization.

I get most of Jade's food from Amazon, plus household stuff. Didn't know they'd donate a portion - will look that up. I annually send an order to Worcester Animal Rescue League and the church's food bank from Amazon. And, Overstock let's you "x" a charity to donate to when you purchase from them - think it's the ASPCA. But, I'm looking for something I can automatically donate monthly to. But, thank you lolakimono, I will check into that.

Honored Contributor

Goldenlocks,

I get my cat litter from Amazon (and toys) and their food comes from online too. I haven't researched to see if Amazon's prices are any better than Petco (for their food), but it is enough money for two cats that I think it's a nice way to give back to their organization. I have two kitties from two different groups, and both are represented on smile.amazon.com. Sometimes when I price things, it will also remind me to go through Smile because I have it set up for their rescue groups.

Respected Contributor

Some of the rescue centers have lists of things that they need on Amazon. You can order from their lists and have it sent directly to them. Siamese Cat Rescue Center and Blind Cat Rescue Center both do that. I am sure that many other groups do this as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, lolakimono and meezerpleezer. I'm gonna go on smile.amazon.com and try to transfer my sub/saves to smile. So, thank you for the info.

I'm wondering though which of the rescue sites, e.g. Friends, ASCPA, etc., would be good to donate to on an automatic monthly basis. I'm looking for a place that puts the most effort in saving and protecting the abused cats, dogs, et al. Don't have that much extra to donate now that I'm retired, but I still want to help out the best I can. If you know of any ones to recommend, it would be appreciated.

Gotta go cook for Christmas. Jade and I are going to relatives for the day. She's the only dog in the family and will be catered to the entire time! Sure Santa will be good to her and your furry-babies, too. Thanx for your help and, Merry Christmas!

Esteemed Contributor

Best Friends and Pet Smart Charities.

You can check Charity Navigator.com to see the ratings of individual charities and how much goes to admin costs.

I always check first before donating. The choice is up to you, but I want as much to go to the critters as possible.

Also, if you have a local, no kill shelter.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/24/2014 Witchy Woman said:

Best Friends and Pet Smart Charities.

You can check Charity Navigator.com to see the ratings of individual charities and how much goes to admin costs.

I always check first before donating. The choice is up to you, but I want as much to go to the critters as possible.

Also, if you have a local, no kill shelter.

Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH, Witchy Woman. I'm glad I checked back! SS didn't go up much and I certainly want to get the most for my money. Charity Navigator is what I need to check. And, perhaps your suggestion of a local no-kill shelter would be best. I'll have to do some calling around locally to see what I can find. Thank you - for your great suggestion and the info I was looking for. Merry Christmas!

Honored Contributor

BTW, Goldenlocks,

Please allow me to introduce you to Beau.

Beau/

He is one of the forgotten kitties waiting on his furever home at one of the rescues. He reminds me of the wolf on our Blue Buffalo bag. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Some of the adoptable pets have their fees paid by donors (people like me, I'm guessing, who are cat-tent with two kitties but would like to help others). You might be able to pick up the adoption fee of a friend who catches your eye. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor
On 12/24/2014 Goldenlocks said:

Thanx, lolakimono and meezerpleezer. I'm gonna go on smile.amazon.com and try to transfer my sub/saves to smile. So, thank you for the info.

I'm wondering though which of the rescue sites, e.g. Friends, ASCPA, etc., would be good to donate to on an automatic monthly basis. I'm looking for a place that puts the most effort in saving and protecting the abused cats, dogs, et al. Don't have that much extra to donate now that I'm retired, but I still want to help out the best I can. If you know of any ones to recommend, it would be appreciated.

Gotta go cook for Christmas. Jade and I are going to relatives for the day. She's the only dog in the family and will be catered to the entire time! Sure Santa will be good to her and your furry-babies, too. Thanx for your help and, Merry Christmas!

Just Google to do your research, and then have your credit union or bank automatically/electronically transfer a certain dollar amount to theirs on your SS benefit day.

Like I do with my SSD (my only income & asset), which is the 3rd of every month.

I'm also set up at Amazon Smile for the ASPCA, for every purchase I make. Which is a lot because I'm homebound, so their Prime membership is literally a lifesaver for me, LOL. Plus, it greatly helps with health and safety for myself and beloved kitty companion.

The HSUS (U.S. Human Society), WWF (World Wildlife Fund), and Best Friends Animal Society are also terrific animal organizations, BTW.

Happy Holidays to you & Jade. 8)