Honored Contributor

Re: Best College Graduation Present Ever

@kitcat51 wrote:

I knew my post would get blow back but I stand by it... I believe everyone should pay their debt & having someone sweep in to pay it just because they can isn't good, it's awful. I'm 68, not heading to college so I have nothing to resent...I'm concerned about the bigger isuue here & others not seeing it. I volunteered yesterday at 2 hospitals, one in my small town, the other 70 miles away in the city & lots of comments about this....how generous, where's mine, it wasn't a gift he owed them, college should be free, I want a tuition refund & more but my fav was...wish he was my sugar daddy. Anyway it's a done deal, his money, his choice but Yikes it sets a bad example that luck will pay your way. I'd be excited if just one grad said...Thanks for the generous offer but it's my responsibility to pay. What are the odds that would happen?

I read this morning that he was paying it forward. So basically he was paying back which is very admirable.

And as far as luck paying these students way, it had nothing to do with luck and everything to do with a billionaire deciding to share the wealth. Bravo to him!

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Ruby Laine  When giving large sums to help others, one seldoms wants a lot of publicity. To write an autobiography is highly unlikely. People who give of themselves and their wealth usually keep a low profile. Why pat oneself on the back?

@BirkiLady 

Perhaps because he hopes it will inspire other wealthy persons to do the same?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I knew my post would get blow back but I stand by it... I believe everyone should pay their debt & having someone sweep in to pay it just because they can isn't good, it's awful. I'm 68, not heading to college so I have nothing to resent...I'm concerned about the bigger isuue here & others not seeing it. I volunteered yesterday at 2 hospitals, one in my small town, the other 70 miles away in the city & lots of comments about this....how generous, where's mine, it wasn't a gift he owed them, college should be free, I want a tuition refund & more but my fav was...wish he was my sugar daddy. Anyway it's a done deal, his money, his choice but Yikes it sets a bad example that luck will pay your way. I'd be excited if just one grad said...Thanks for the generous offer but it's my responsibility to pay. What are the odds that would happen?

Nobody graduating from Morehouse is there by luck. Period. They were lucky that he gave the commencement, and they benefitted, just like some are born rich or talented. How does paying something forward set a bad example? How is helping your fellow man "awful"? Do you really think that intelligent, college educated people are really going to believe that some once-in-a-lifetime event is going to happen to them, and then be disappointed when it doesn't? That takes a special kind of logic.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Interesting. All the comments I heard this morning at work were - what an incredible thing he did...an incredibly successful and selfless man.....but my personal favorite - imagine the ripple effect ...this will positively impact so many.

Yes, many people said how generous & that's the first comment I listed but others were envious & downright resentful. My only point is that a grad should pay their debt & someone sweeping in doing it for them isn't a good thing...there is pride in earning a degree & paying for it yourself is a responsibility & an accomplishment that's important. That's my opinion & if that makes me a bad person so be it, it isn't going to change.

Honored Contributor

I'll bet if someone offered her a new car ,she would be singing a different tune

My son paid for his college all by himself ,and served Uncle Sam while doing it. He certainly is happy for these kids ,and if he weren't, he would be hearing about it from his mother. I raised my children to be happy for others and to do their own personal best

Esteemed Contributor

Only time will tell if this is a good thing or not.  If it was intended as a "pay-it-forward" gift, the true character of these young men is being tested.  Will they grab and go on with their life or will they use the money they no longer have to pay back to help someone else.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Only time will tell if this is a good thing or not.  If it was intended as a "pay-it-forward" gift, the true character of these young men is being tested.  Will they grab and go on with their life or will they use the money they no longer have to pay back to help someone else.

I don't understand. There is so much inequity in this country, that if a billionaire wants to help those of average means, where is the harm? He clearly understands the wide gap there is between the middle class and the rich.

As far as those giving back...two examples would be my own children. Both went to college on full scholarships..both have given back to the community in their chosen professions.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'll bet if someone offered her a new car ,she would be singing a different tune

My son paid for his college all by himself ,and served Uncle Sam while doing it. He certainly is happy for these kids ,and if he weren't, he would be hearing about it from his mother. I raised my children to be happy for others and to do their own personal best

I don't want anyone to give me a car & I can't carry a tune in a bucket so not singing...good grief.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 

I would imagine you would think it a very fine gesture if you saw someone in the grocery store pay the the bill for the guy in front of him who just found out he didn’t have enough money to pay It.

Would you instead criticize this generous man because he didn’t pay the bills for everyone else in line?

Think about it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Well I don'tbelieve you. You are just plain nasty about this. There is no bigger picture except you are pea green with envy

Only in this forum would someone take a kind and generous act ,and try to turn it into a subversive action