Respected Contributor

Re: Best College Graduation Present Ever

I do plenty to give back & I'm sure you do too. Look it's his money & he can do as he pleases with it BUT...what about the grads that are paying & the future grads that will pay? What he did was self indulgent, the grads did nothing to deserve their debt being paid off, they won the lotto without buying a ticket...his gift should have been to the college. Understand there are many who want all college debt to be forgiven & from now on all college is free...well free is expense & someone has to pay...guess who?  No I'm not happy for them because those who are paying feel like suckers & those who will pay think where's my free ride. Have money use common sense, don't hand it away to cause envy & resentment. @Cakers3 

Respected Contributor

First of all, it's his money so whatever he does is his choice.  No problem there.

My only comment is that all these kids managed to complete college and now have the opportunity for good jobs with which to repay the loans.

It's great for them that they now do not have to, but they are still extremenly advantaged over the kids who never got to college in the first place because they were already in debt, had family obligations, or otherwise couldn't qualify/take on the extreme college debt down the road.  I guess I'd give the latter kids priority in helping.

But again, he did a good thing and more power to him.

Honored Contributor

Nice people are not angry and resentful. Only small minded, jealous people, act like that...You have dug yourself into a hole, the best thing to do is to stop digging, before you reach China

Honored Contributor

Now that is what I call generosity and truly love that he chose to do something that actually is a huge benefit for those students now...and for many years to come.  Coming out of college without the burden of student loans opens up doors and a whole new world for them.  I know what it's like, my niece who is also my god-daughter is a brilliant girl who went on to obtain her masters in her chosen field.  She makes an excellect salary but her student loan payments reduce that salary significantly.  She's lucky, my brother and I are helping her with her student loan payments but many graduates don't have parents or family to help help with those payments.  Yes, he did a wonderful thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Nice people are not angry and resentful. Only small minded, jealous people, act like that...You have dug yourself into a hole, the best thing to do is to stop digging, before you reach China

Kind of painting a broad stroke here.....not nice,

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

What a ripple effect this could have for many years to come.

Someone with this much money knows where it can do the most good. Although I don’t have any facts to back up my opinion, I would think he gives to many charitable organizations of different types and needs. 

People with low income can receive federal grants for college. These grants are free monies and do not have to be repaid. Students just need proof of their income level. Students above this income level have to pay for college. Most take out loans and have jobs while in school.  

Regardless of the charity or individuals we choose to help, there’s always a chance of someone not being “deserving,” but that’s not what I’m thinking about when I donate. 

I wish Robert Smith would write an autobiography. I bet that would be fascinating reading!

Esteemed Contributor

Nice windfall for those few hundred kids.  Kind of like being on those Oprah shows with those big give aways.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

When I was in college, you could work & pay-as-you-go.

Now with this ridiculous government college loan scam, the money goes right to the college.    The college sees the unlimited amount of money they can get, so they raise tuition and the loans go up and here comes the money again.   It's a scam.  If I say any more, my post will be deleted.

The students are left holding the bag while the colleges are raking it in, over paying professors & administrators.    These young people want a better life.    I hope this gift inspires every one of them to pay it forward when they can.    Can you imagine that domino effect?!

I admire Mr Smith.   I'm familiar with his story, which is incredible and I am familiar with the struggles of all HBCUs.    God bless them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Zernia Rose wrote:

I am surprised by those who commented that this act of generosity was something that should be criticized.  How is it different from those who receive scholarships or other grants for being from a particular county, play a particular instrument, or meet the critieria established by the Daughters of the Confederacy or some sorority? Morehouse has a storied history as one of the few colleges developed for African American males at a time when many Blacks were mired in segregation, attended inferior schools, and faced daily the reality that they could not attend historically White elementary or secondary schools, colleges and universities, even those that were state funded.  Before they are accused of being racist, it should be firmly stated that Morehouse admits all male students regardless of race, creed, national origin, language, etc. as all historically Black colleges and universities since their beginnings(including those that are coed). A few years ago, many in the press highlighted the fact that Morehouse's valedictorian was a White male; they seemed atonished that a HBCU would have this occur.  

Morehouse educates many students who are the first to attend college in their families.  They struggle to pay the costs associated with being a storied "Morehouse Man."  They are encumbered with debt yet they willingly take it on.  I wish every billionaire would do something similar for whatever school he or she wishes.  

I am proud that Mr. Smith made this pledge. He is an Ivy-League graduate (Cornell and Columbia Univerisities, if I recall) and is a founder of a business that manages billions of dollars. 

No one bats an eye that Harvard has a 38 plus billion dollar endowment, yet its enrollment doesn't reflect that generosity.  Even state universities are seeking multli-billion dollar endowments and tuition continues to rise.  Thank you Mr. Smith a thousand times over.

@Zernia Rose 

Actually, I'm not surprised at all.

It's a way of keeping the "less thans" down.

It's a superiority thing.

I doubt the students are " less thans."  Less than what or whom?  They are promising citizens who worked towards a good education and apparently are meeting their goals.

Superiority things and Less thans are not terms that seem to apply here. They are not down and no one is keeping them down or wants to put them down.  They are average Americans from good working families.

I am surprised you would even suggest something like this. Moorehouse is an expensive Private liberal arts college and it's not easy to be accepted there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

Interesting.

People give money to schools to be disbursed as scholarships/grants all the time.   No complaints.  Now someone wants to pay off student debt  and it's a horrible thing.

Can't win...

Think the point of contention is that scholarships and grants are distributed on merit and need.  These kids were in the right place at the right time which is good for them.