Honored Contributor

Re: Best College Graduation Present Ever

@Marp wrote:

@september wrote:

On first reading this...that sounds awesome.  But did they all “need” this?

In my opinion, there are people living in very dire straits in this country.  I make my charitable contributions based on who needs help the most.   Most of these people have never have had the opportunity to go to college, even with loans. 

There were 400 students in the graduating class and while some, many, all or none of them may meet your criteria the median household income of Morehouse students is under $62,000 a year with an annual attendance cost of approximately $48,723.

In a perfect world anyone that didn't "need" or want this assistance would turn it down (we don't know if anyone did) but I doubt there were many that graduated debt free.

BTW, the benefactor is a Morehouse graduate.

and what if there were some graduates who had worked two jobs to get themselves through college, debt-free?  How do you think they feel after seeing the other grads get handed free money after they had worked so hard?

I think I'm "old school".  I believe we should all have to work for what we get. with a few exceptions, of course. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I will wait and see if this actually happens. I hope it does.

Esteemed Contributor

@september  Hard, honest work has never hurt anyone. Those that accomplished their graduation without any debt by working through school have the self-respect of knowing they did it by themselves. They will be genuinely happy for their classmates. Good people know the difference of sincere happiness and jealousy. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

How fabulous!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BEAUTIFUL 

Heart Heart Heart

WONDERFUL 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

It would seem that there are those who would prefer that a student be in debt, and struggle to pay off that loan, than to accept a gift of starting life debt free.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I think it is such a generous thing to do and am thrilled for every graduate who will begin their career with no college debt.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@september  Hard, honest work has never hurt anyone. Those that accomplished their graduation without any debt by working through school have the self-respect of knowing they did it by themselves. They will be genuinely happy for their classmates. Good people know the difference of sincere happiness and jealousy. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree.  I don’t think  jealousy plays a role here.  

Respected Contributor

Awful, just an awful thing to do...the students & parents took on the debt so they should pay it.

Respected Contributor

We did this for our son.  He thought his expenses were paid through a loan that we took out with the stipulation that he’d have to pay it back.  His graduation gift was that he found out he was debt-free.  I can’t describe the incredible feeling of relief he had.

It’s such a shame college has become so expensive. It was actually affordable when I went.

Glad to see this billionaire is giving back.