Honored Contributor

Best Buy Black Friday: Since Saturday?

We’ve all seen the campouts, but in his day/age...why?

And since last Saturday. Man, all for $300 ($50/day).

Have you ever done the Black Friday camp out?

📺💲🦃💲🦃💲📺

GARLAND (CBSDFW.COM) – Black Friday is fast approaching, but one DFW man has already been camped out in line to get a holiday deal. Efren Garcia has been the first person in line outside of the Best Buy store in Garland since Saturday. He is hoping to save $300 on a 50-inch television.

Garcia started camping out for Black Friday in 2011. Back then, he was after laptop computers.

As the years have gone by, Garcia has been able to move closer to the front of the line. He is able to keep arriving sooner each year thanks to some help from his relatives. “I have to work, but we are four of us,” Garcia explained, “so we switch in between six of us.”

Garcia has even gotten his neighbors into the tradition of Black Friday line waiting. They are out at the Best Buy store as well, staying in a smaller tent right behind Garcia.

“I’m surprised that, by this time, there’s only two of us,” Garcia said on Tuesday night. “They’re probably waiting until the last day. But years before, three days and the line was all the way around.”

Garcia knows that retailers have started offering deals online. However, as long as the deals can be found in stores as well, he plans to line up every year. Best Buy opens at 5:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Buy Black Friday: Since Saturday?

If they want to do do this. I am also glad he has a job. Walmart has some good sales on TV's on BF.

Respected Contributor

People were seen camping out in front of Best Buy last night, Thanksgiving Eve. I think people enjoy doing it, like sleeping on the sidewalk all night before the Rose Parade as thousands do.  I guess it’s a bit like an all night party or camp out. Not me!

Honored Contributor

It's the thrill of the hunt, not for me, but whatever floats your boat.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

We just purchased some things from Best Buy that are going to be on sale for Black Friday.  I think you might have to be a card holder but happy to get them online.  I cannot imagine camping out for five days for anything, but I am sure he is having a good time.  I love the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping and indulge in some retail therapy but have never camped out anywhere.  Happy shopping for those who do.

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy
Honored Contributor

My main concern would be bathroom issues. Depends maybe your friend, if you don't have someone to rotate with you in line.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 Maybe they have porta potty but no showers or handwashing...yucky stuff.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, people who camp out for days on end to save a couple hundred bucks are plain nuts.  

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

IMO, people who camp out for days on end to save a couple hundred bucks are plain nuts.  

Be thankful that $300 is chump change to you.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

This might be the only way they can afford to buy the item-on sale.