Respected Contributor

I miss standard lightbulbs myself.   Hate the CFLs.   If you use them in the cold it takes awhile to even come on and then they are dull.   My only problem with LEDs are that they tell you not to use them in enclosed fixtures.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@anniebear wrote:

We've switched to LED's too. Be careful when you are choosing though, some new buIbs that look like LED types have the curly CFL element. I saw some at Target and almost bought them because the price was so good. They were displayed with the LED type bulbs too.

I saw some standard looking bulbs that had CFL elements in them as well.

~~
Respected Contributor

Re: ••• Best Brand or Brands of CFL Bulbs? •••

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

I also stockpiled enough standard bulbs to last my. lifetime, I hope.

I won't use the CFLs due to the disposal issue because of the mercury they contain. Sorry, I have no interest in becoming a hazmat expert.

LEDs aren't bright enough. I don't want to live in the dark.  

Best of luck to you...I hope you can find bulbs you like.

I replaced alll my kitchen can lights with LED Daylight bulbs. Believe me. They are bright enough!  I have them on dimmer for most of the time.

I am almost done replacing all the incandescents. The bulb life is quite remarkable. First with the CFLs and then with the LEDs.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay with the antiquated incandescents which put out a lot of heat by the way.  

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

As far as brightness goes, it may depend on what kind of LED lights you are buying.  The ones we do have are more than bright enough.  I'm not sure if we bought them at Costco or Sams.

~~
Honored Contributor

@debc wrote:

I miss standard lightbulbs myself.   Hate the CFLs.   If you use them in the cold it takes awhile to even come on and then they are dull.   My only problem with LEDs are that they tell you not to use them in enclosed fixtures.   

From cnet.com:

Plan for placement

Knowing where it's OK to place an LED will ensure that the bulb won't fizzle ahead of its time.

You probably know that LED bulbs run dramatically cooler than their incandescent cousins, but that doesn't mean they don't produce heat. LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life.

And therein lies the problem: the bulb needs a way to dissipate the heat. If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

Consider where you'd like to place your LED bulbs. If you have fully or semi-enclosed fixtures you need to light up, look for LEDs that are approved for recessed or enclosed spaces.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I won't use CFL bulbs. I will stick to paying for LED lights. All of my flood lights will be changed to LED as the halogen ones burn out. So far I have replaced 8 out of the 12, and I expect them to last for many years.

E.T.A.

Just read a post above mine about LED heat. We have many covered fixtures in our home, but there is not a single one that I cannot leave a bit loose to let what heat there is dissipate, thus not return to the bulb itself.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

More from cnet.com re: brightness comparison and what to look for when buying LEDs as compared with incandescents

How many lumens do I need?

Over the last century, we've been trained to think about light purely in terms of wattages, so it isn't surprising that most people really have no idea of how many lumens they actually need in a bulb. Until you form an idea of how bright is bright enough for your tastes, stick with these figures:

Replacing a 40W bulb: look for at least 450 lumens
Replacing a 60W bulb: look for at least 800 lumens
Replacing a 75W bulb: look for at least 1,100 lumens
Replacing a 100W bulb: look for at least 1,600 lumens

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@debc wrote:

From cnet.com:

Plan for placement

Knowing where it's OK to place an LED will ensure that the bulb won't fizzle ahead of its time.

You probably know that LED bulbs run dramatically cooler than their incandescent cousins, but that doesn't mean they don't produce heat. LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life.

And therein lies the problem: the bulb needs a way to dissipate the heat. If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

Consider where you'd like to place your LED bulbs. If you have fully or semi-enclosed fixtures you need to light up, look for LEDs that are approved for recessed or enclosed spaces.

********************************************************************************

I love LED's. I do watch what I buy for where. I have vaulted ceilings in my kitchen, so bulb changes are difficult, and LED's last so much longer than incandesant. I hate CFL/flouresant. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I'd like to know where and how folks are disposing their used CFL bulbs?  Hopefully, not in the landfill.  I don't see any bins around here where we can dispose of them.  Therefore, I'm still using my incandescent bulbs.  I tried CFL bulbs years ago, but they emitted a slight buzzing noise behind the walls, so I decided at that time that they might not be right to use in my house.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I like to sit under my goose neck floor lamp, under one 40W incandescent bulb.  Keeps me (and my cat) warm in the winter without having to turn on my furnace.  I have a few portable heater fans in various rooms, which we turn on, if and when we're in a particular room.  That has been working for us.  Turning on a central furnace is a waste of energy, IMO. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).