Honored Contributor

Re: ••• Best Brand or Brands of CFL Bulbs? •••

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I hate the CFL bulbs.

Personally I don't think they save money on the electric bill and after a while, they make everything look dim and dingy with a yellow hue.

I hoard the regular bulbs and if I see them on sale will stock up while I can still get them.

Why not buy LED's...you will save a lot of money in the long run.

Respected Contributor

I also stockpiled enough standard bulbs to last my. lifetime, I hope.

I won't use the CFLs due to the disposal issue because of the mercury they contain. Sorry, I have no interest in becoming a hazmat expert.

LEDs aren't bright enough. I don't want to live in the dark.  

Best of luck to you...I hope you can find bulbs you like.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

I won't use the CFLs due to the disposal issue because of the mercury they contain. Sorry, I have no interest in becoming a hazmat expert.

I feel the same way toward CFLs. And since you are stocked up, certainly use what you have.

I felt the same way about the brightness of the LEDs at first, but they've come a long way and I am really pleased with the brightness of the new ones. Also they do throw off heat, not as much as incandescence bulbs, but if you are using a reading lamp you can feel the heat.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

i have a huge stockpile also! every time i went to home depot, lowes, or the dollar stores i would grab a bunch. HATE HATE HATE the CFL lighting. we also use LED and flourescent lights in our home in different areas.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I changed to LED. I get them at Costco. I like the bright white light and no disposal problems. Power bills are lower too.

http://m.costco.com/Feit-Omni-Directional-|-40W-Replacement-|-Uses-7.3W-|-485-Lumens-|-2,700K-Soft-W...

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:
I felt the same way about the brightness of the LEDs at first, but they've come a long way and I am really pleased with the brightness of the new ones. Also they do throw off heat, not as much as incandescence bulbs, but if you are using a reading lamp you can feel the heat.

Thanks for the feedback that LEDs are better than they used to be.  I'll give them another try.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

Thanks for the feedback that LEDs are better than they used to be.  I'll give them another try.

And as the technology gets better, the prices will drop lower for LED bulbs and fixtures. Several years ago, the prices at big box stores- Lowe's & Home Depot, the LEDs were prohibitive. Now at least they are more economically feasible.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Thanks everybody!  I'm sorry I didnt get

to come back sooner.

Great information!

I really appreciate it.

👍👍👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

I thought that we had stockpiled enough of the old bulbs to last us. Unfortunately that is not the case. If anyone has some to sell I am a willing buyer!!!!

Frequent Contributor

We've switched to LED's too. Be careful when you are choosing though, some new buIbs that look like LED types have the curly CFL element. I saw some at Target and almost bought them because the price was so good. They were displayed with the LED type bulbs too.