Honored Contributor

@Jazzycat1 wrote:

Your comment is very wokish. You can be nice without pretending.

@Jazzycat1  - Who are you talking to?

Frequent Contributor
If you could buy him/her for what they are worth, and sell them for what they THINK they're worth, we would all be rich!
Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal ............I saw this post early this morning and read all the posts 3 times before asking her the same thing.  She definitely needs to look up the meanng of woke and have the spinal fortitude to post who she is addressing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor
I think she’s addressing the OP
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Advice I Ever Got!

[ Edited ]

To treat others with the respect with which I would like to be treated. 

We are all aware that such respect is not always reciprocated upon a first meeting and even afterward.   In those cases, just do your best and play the situation by ear (I think).

My mother immediately corrected any evidence of snobbery or sense of superiority she sniffed from me or my brother.  As I grew older, I always took note of how my brother was universally polite to all.  His nature was kind.  I hope I looked the same to him.  Don 't get me wrong, both he and I could come out with teeth bared when necessary, but we both preferred a pacific approach to life.

My mother taught us to be kind to others but she also taught us to be strong when under attack.  Not one to flee from a fight, she taught us to stand up for ourselves if necessary.

Mama was a first-generation American who was born in Pennsylvania.  She did not have it easy.  One story she told us many times was that if she came in from a fight outside, boo-hooing to her father, he would make her march right back out to finish the fight (in her favor).  To be clear, my grandfather did not march out to finish the fight  -- my mother had to go back out and fight for herself.   

Respected Contributor

when I read the first post I read it as something from a movie when a guy is trying to just use a girl and drop her

Trusted Contributor

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason.  

Super Contributor

My grandmother used to say when you came upon any of life's major struggles you could push it or pull it. 

Respected Contributor

My Dad said, "It's not what you make, it's what you spend."  

Respected Contributor

Ma was not one to tell me much, but two things she did tell me remain:

1.Don't act like a big shot.

When I got married:

2.Don't ever raise your hands to each other.