Respected Contributor

Bess Myerson - Former Miss America Dies at Age 90

I remember her being very visible during the reign of Mayor Koch in NYC and being a regular on "I've Got a Secret".

/></p> <p class=

From the NY Times: "Bess Myerson, a New York favorite daughter who basked in the public eye for decades — as Miss America 1945, as a television personality, as a force in public affairs and finally, under a harsher light, as a player in a shattering municipal scandal — died on Dec. 14 at her home in Santa Monica, Calif., her death occurring in the relative obscurity in which she had lived her last years. She was 90.

Her death, which had not been publicly announced, was confirmed on Monday by public records.

Ms. Myerson was one of a select group of American figures to parlay pop culture celebrity into positions of influence in the public square. She led two New York City agencies, Consumer and Cultural Affairs; advised three presidents; championed social causes; and supported powerful political careers. She also sought one for herself, entering a much-watched primary race for the United States Senate. For a long time she seemed rarely out of the news."

Read the entire article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/nyregion/bess-myerson-miss-america-and-new-york-official-tarnishe...

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Re: Bess Myerson - Former Miss America Dies at Age 90

Thank You, Lotus. She was a beauty for sure.

Gary Moore, Bess Myerson, Harry Morgan, Bill Cullen and Betsy Palmer... I've got a Secret.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Wasn't she also on the panel of ""What's My Line?""

Respected Contributor

Why am I thinking this is old news? I can swear I have read this before????

Going to google.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Wiki has her death listed as December 14, 2014......wonder why the times is running that article today?

Sorry folks.....old news.

Honored Contributor

When i was a little girl I thought she was the ultimate, most beautiful woman on TV. She was very ladylike too.

Respected Contributor

Ok...so I guess she died in December and all the new agencies are announcing it today? There are many articles online dated with today's date.

Weird.

Anyway...Happy Housewife....I felt the same way when I was a kid.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 Lotus~ said:

Wiki has her death listed as December 14, 2014......wonder why the times is running that article today?

Sorry folks.....old news.

It's not that old, it sure doesn't seem to have been publicized at the time.

She had it all. She was also a victim of domestic violence and later in a political scandal. The last time I remember hearing about her was when she was caught shoplifting.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

It was not ""announced"" and was just found out. I guess her family was trying to keep it private. May she finally find Peace!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

On 1/5/2015 Peachysue said:

Thank You, Lotus. She was a beauty for sure.

Gary Moore, Bess Myerson, Harry Morgan, Bill Cullen and Betsy Palmer... I've got a Secret.

..........talk about "dating" myself; I remember all in this pic!! Bess Myerson was a real beauty; may she RIP.