Honored Contributor

Re: Bernie Madoff Terminally Ill Seeks Compassionate Release

@novamc1. Maybe, about his health. Bit remember his lawyer's job is to get Bernie released so his health will be presented in worst-case scenario. And again, nobody knows how much time he has. Doctors' estimates are guesses based on experience with others' cases.Each person is different.
Respected Contributor

I often think those that are the least deserving of compassion are often the ones that need it. 

However, if Madoff is dying of kidney disease, how do his doctors know how long he has? Heck, I have stage 5 CKD and am on dialysis. My doctors can't tell me how long I have to live. Could be tomorrow, could be next week, could be next year, could be 10 years from now. 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Pearlee 

I heard earlier that he's hooked up to a dialysis machine.  He apparently has other health issues, too. Doubt he will last long from here.

<<His lawyer, Brandon Sample, said in a court filing that Madoff has “chronic kidney failure that has progressed to end-stage renal disease.” Madoff also suffers from other conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure, esophageal reflux, insomnia, shortness of breath, back pain, itching, leg cramps and anxiety, according to the filing.>>

Can't help but laugh at some of those "ailments"---sounds like Bernie's just a regular guy.

@novamc1  I couldn't agree more, how shocking a man at his age (81) is experiencing these ailments and needs to be released into the general public when he can get the same care exactly where he is.  This man truly knows no shame whatsoever.  At all.

Esteemed Contributor

Never.

Honored Contributor

Well, I can't blame him for trying - rather, I can't blame his attorney for trying.  Does he still have money to pay an attorney?  At any rate, ir's best to keep him where he is; we've suffered enough already.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Sentence of 150 years is a joke. Given to satisfy vengeful people. 

It was given to satisfy an illegal action.

That's how our court system works.

@sidsmom  Guidelines?  Counts x years per count = sentence?  Got a source like that?  Or was this sentence pulled out of the air?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, ask the people he cheated, how they vote.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe 

As a former Federal employee, I can't help but feel something for the prison employees who have to spend one more day taking care of a sick old man--just like I hate the government resources already used up thanks to him.

No excuse for what Bernie did, but would any of us  like to take care of that man and later have to wrap and carry out his dead body?  Let someone else handle his final days, I say.  

I've met prison wardens and employees in both a state and a federal prison..........they have rotten, dangerous jobs dealing with rotten, dangerous people. Those meetings were some of the biggest eye-openers and emotionally charged moments I've ever experienced

Let's give the prison medical staff a break and send a terminal patient somewhere else--and free up his bed in the infirmary for a younger, less heinous criminal.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Sentence of 150 years is a joke. Given to satisfy vengeful people. 

It was given to satisfy an illegal action.

That's how our court system works.

@sidsmom  Guidelines?  Counts x years per count = sentence?  Got a source like that?  Or was this sentence pulled out of the air?

The court had to impose consecutive terms of imprisonment which Madoff agreed to.  The sentencing was fair.  Madoff made close to 170 billion from his fraud.

Honored Contributor

This decision whether to release him or not is about Madoff, not prison employees. They can go elsewhere of their own free will if they dont want to deal with a sick old man.