Honored Contributor

Re: Bernie Madoff Terminally Ill Seeks Compassionate Release

@esmerelda wrote:

Wow. The vitriol here is surprising.

It was money. People bought into something without knowing enough. It was “too good to be true” and they went in anyway. 

His sentence is 150 years.  Over money. People kill people and get a tenth of that.

I don’t know that he should be released.  I don’t know that he should have been sentenced to 150 years.  

Over money. 

Wow.

If this isn't the 'her skirt was too short' argument,

I don't know what is. 

'Over money'.  Srsly?

Have a feeling if the bank accounts of those who say

this were one day drained completely, the talk would

be different....much different.

Honored Contributor

When Compassion Is Cruelty

Bernie Madoff deserves compassion, as all human beings do, even the worst ones. But he doesn’t deserve compassionate release. He deserves to finish his sentence or expire in prison. To do otherwise would be cruel to the victims he wittingly ensnared.

It wasn’t just wealthy individuals who had their savings stolen. Although that would be bad enough. Life-saving and life-giving charities suffered from scaled back donations in the wake of Bernie Madoff‘s greedy web of selfish lies.

The Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation lost $1.8 million in contributions because of Madoff’s Ponzi scheme. They facilitate bone marrow transplants for adults and children with cancer and other genetic diseases.

The JEHT Foundation had to shut down completely because Madoff had robbed its benefactors. They used to give millions in grants to help former prisoners find jobs, housing, and transportation.

The Real Reason Bernie Madoff Should remain in prison

but here’s the ultimate reason why Bernie Madoff should not be granted early release.

What makes his crimes most egregious is that Bernie Madoff was the chair of the National Association of Securities Dealers (now FINRA – Financial Industry Regulatory Authority). It’s the self-regulatory organization for the New York Stock Exchange.

Its mission is:

To protect investors and ensure the market’s integrity

The guy in charge of protecting investors from fraud on the New York Stock Exchange was the biggest fraudster in its history.

Bernie Madoff was in a position of power to protect us from people like Bernie Madoff. He abused the trust that came with that position of power. People in those positions need to be held to the highest account when they do wrong.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of CCN.com.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree it's time to cut the losses on Bernie and send him somewhere else.

No one will ever recoup the amount of staff time and resources of multiple federal agencies that were used  to investigate, prosecute and try to deal fairly with his victims after he was convicted and left behind few assets to recover.

As for wondering about his victims' side of the story, it was all over the news media in special interviews and other coverage since he was nailed by the feds.

Supposedly, he has shown remorse for what he did.

He reportedly became sort of a hero to other crooks in the prison because he had carried out such a magnificent scam.  Bernie's story was that he was trying to teach them not to do what he did.

Esteemed Contributor

Sentence of 150 years is a joke. Given to satisfy vengeful people. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

People volunteered their money, it wasn't stolen. An example of the adage, A fool and his money are soon parted. 

I have sympathy for those whose pension funds were invested with Madoff and those who were paid to manage those funds should be punished too. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

People volunteered their money, it wasn't stolen. An example of the adage, A fool and his money are soon parted. 

I have sympathy for those whose pension funds were invested with Madoff and those who were paid to manage those funds should be punished too. 

@occasionalrain   Agree it was volunteered but Madoff did steal it after, so there's the twist to this crime.

Those with the millions to invest, imo, would be the ones who had the means to be cautious; the little investor may not have been as savvy with money.

In the end, the shiny object in all of this was $$$$ and more $$$$, regardless of how much was invested and by whom.

I feel for the  good organizations who lost $$; yet those in control of company  finances may not have finished their homework.

When offered grand returns, a little (a lot) of looking deeper might have prevented some, not all, but some of these losses.

It is believed he had schemes going long before this broke but were never uncovered.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have no problem with Madoff staying exactly where he is until he is no longer.  He knowing and flagrantly sought out unsuspecting folks funds (including charities) while he knew his Ponzi scheme was collapsing on him.  There were hundreds of innocent people whose retirement funds were stolen from them.  Now he has physical ailments?  At least he is somewhere where they can be addressed, maybe not so much for those he knowingly screwed out of their money.

I have read he would be staying with a friend (and I admit this is an assumption on my part) but it sounds like he found a soft place to land.  Again, not so much for those he cheated.  I am happy to pay his room and board at wherever he is now as I would imagine many that he swindled aren't receiving that level of care or have those accomodations.

Honored Contributor

NO. He's garbage and garbage should be left to rot.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom , you stole the words right out of my mouth.

Honored Contributor

Nope.  He's fine where he is.