Respected Contributor

Re: Bernie Madoff Terminally Ill Seeks Compassionate Release

No way.  He chose the behavior, he chose the consequences.

Let him die in jail where he belongs.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

NO, he belongs where he is.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't wish suffering or death on anyone.  I have little to no sympathy for his request. A poor person wouldn't get a compassiontae release and neither should a rich person.  He should die in prison.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as Bernie stays in prison, we the taxpayers are paying his room and board and medical care.

I say let him out and  let him die somewhere else on someone else's dime.

It's an odd story as to how, but I got a personal tour of that federal prison in Butner, NC.  It has  a dorm and country club atmosphere for white-collar nonviolent crooks, and the inmates who go there know how lucky they are.

It reportedly has one of the best medical facilities among federal prisons, so Bernie gets the best care that Uncle Sam offers, I guess..

Inmates know that if they break rules and misbehave, they risk being shipped out to a prison that really looks and feels like a prison.

The concept behind this easy-to-live-in prison is that if convicts are treated like human beings, they will act like human beings when they're released.

I walked away from that tour absolutely stunned that the place looked nothing like a prison---more like a college campus.

Couldn't decide whether to be angry at such leniency or just be awed.  Wasn't expecting what I saw and experienced.

Honored Contributor

tough call

I don't think he has family to go to

or any money  so 

so not sure what my answer is there, 

both his sons are dead, wife forgot him. etc . 

Honored Contributor

He received a fair trial. He needs to render to Caeser ,that which is Caesars.

Respected Contributor

He stole BILLIONS of dollars and RUINED people's lives, companies, etc.  Compassionate Release?????   I THINK NOT!!!   

I LAUGHED at that request when I was driving in this morning and heard it on the news.  I'm a compassionate person, but I think he should die in his cell.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear

Maybe he can be shipped back to his home state's welfare system, maybe to die in hospice care. 

Good question, though, about what can be done about him or for him---except to be disgusted by the whole mess.

ETA....

Just heard on CNBC that he wants to "die at home" and have a chance "to explain things to his grandkids".  He also has an attorney who "specializes in getting people out of prison".

Esteemed Contributor

Many, many people die in prison every year. Many of them probably didn't have attorneys to ask for compassionate release as they were dying. I don't believe Madoff should be treated any differently. Period.

Trusted Contributor

@PearleeNo, many individuals suffered because of him.