Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bernie Madoff Terminally Ill Seeks Compassionate Release

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

In a word, NO.  The people who lost their savings will live the rest of their lives and die without any "compassionate release."

@shoesnbags 

ITA.

Has there been a documentary or book about the victims?

A 'where are they now' compilation.

I would like to hear the victims side of this.

@sidsmom, your question made me think, so I googled it. There was a book written in 2010, "The Club No One Wanted to Join,Madoff Victims in Their Own Words"

Looks like only 29 victims, but I bet it would be an interesting read. What I read on Amazon said his victims were from all walks of life, not just wealthy folks. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

In a word, NO.  The people who lost their savings will live the rest of their lives and die without any "compassionate release."

@shoesnbags 

ITA.

@sidsmom, your question made me think, so I googled it. There was a book written in 2010, "The Club No One Wanted to Join,Madoff Victims in Their Own Words"

Looks like only 29 victims, but I bet it would be an interesting read. What I read on Amazon said his victims were from all walks of life, not just wealthy folks. 

@happycat Thanks for the recommendation!🌼

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@shoesnbags 

ITA.

Prosecutors estimated approximately 37,000 victims and 65 billion dollars.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

All predatory minded thieves share a common belief, that foolish people deserve to be stolen from.

@Free2be  ^^^^^ THIS!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

To say he didn't kill anyone might be quite speculative. Who knows how many more bone marrow transplants could have been given with the 1.8 million dollars that was lost ,due to Madoff's thievery?

Agreed @cherry . The stress he put on innocent/naive people by stealing their money (remember, many, many of these people came from an era where they had been used to having a pension so money managers were foreign to them and would have been very difficult to know the danger of working with him especially since word of mouth was so positive).  I can't imagine the mental and eventual physical damage he did on that particular generation as they were always so proud of their accomplishments and then to see it stolen by that monster.  I hope they never let him out.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@San Antonio Gal  Yes, they should have questioned the promised return on their investment and opted for a more reasonable, conservative rate of return. They should have considered that to get that return something illegal, perhaps immoral, was likely involved.

They shouldn't have risk money that wasn't theirs and, if lost, others would suffer that loss, not them.

I have never excused Madoff, he deserved a jail term. I only recommenced releasing him now that he's dying because it's the right thing to do and save tax payers the exorbitant cost of keeping him in prison.

@occasionalrain  I would normally completely agree with you that I wouldn't be interested in spending an additional dime in keeping an alleged (to be honest I don't believe a word of him being terminally ill but that's neither here nor there).  He not only took advantage of very rich folks that should have done their due dilligence because they are used to managing money but he also preyed on successful but recently not to savvy people that had worked their whole life to build their nest egg only to see it taken away by him.  Many of these people were involved in that lovely time of corporate leveraged buyouts where if you were older you basically had no choice but to accept the package or lose whatever equity you may have built.  It was a wide open arena for money managers and he charged right in taking advantage of folks that had never had to deal with managing their retirement accounts.  He's a monster and I have zero problem with my tax dollars keeping him where he is until he is no more.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't be for a compassionate early release.   But, during his final few months, I would be for more lenient and frequent visitations from family and close friends.   

If we lose all our humanity, we're no better than he is.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

Those that say it would be less expensive if Madoff was released, who do you think would be paying his medical bills/medications? He has no money, he would be living off of the government. So we all would be paying for him. I doubt it would be cheaper.