Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Beleaguered Puerto Rico Bracing for Hurricane

@QueenDanceALot, many have had hurricane parties....it doesn't always mean you will get hit by a hurricane though....

Back in the more rustic days before meteorology bloomed-like Betsy or Camille-people had parties....some with the saddest of endings.

But yes-look it up for yourself. I simply googled "hurricanes that hit the Keys"....

If you think about it, yes, the Keys have taken hits, but not direct hits...when hurricanes are going through the Straits of Florida into the Gulf or up the coast- the Keys get pounded by NE winds....This time-just as in 1919- they took a direct hit....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2

Well, according to a few historial Florida Keys Hurricanes sites, there have been quite a few since 1919.

"Direct Hit", that might be a debatable term.

I think when there are lives lost because people decided to hang out for parties instead of leaving, then that's more than some wind.

But I don't really want to argue terms.  History says they've had quite a number of hurricanes in the last 100 years.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot, I looked this up on "keyshistory.org"....1999: Hurricane Irene skirted the Keys....

A direct hit is not debatable: the center of storm circulation and where it hits has been visually available for years....

I don't want a war of words either....but I think your younger friend experienced some hash winds: meteorologists always warn about winds over 40mph. Once winds reach that high, here, emergency services are shut down.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot, I looked this up on "keyshistory.org"....1999: Hurricane Irene skirted the Keys....

A direct hit is not debatable: the center of storm circulation and where it hits has been visually available for years....

I don't want a war of words either....but I think your younger friend experienced some hash winds: meteorologists always warn about winds over 40mph. Once winds reach that high, here, emergency services are shut down.

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Sounds like a number of them had winds in the Keys at way over 40mph.

I can only go by what is written about them.

http://www.keyshistory.org/hurricanelist.html

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Poodlepet2

Well, according to a few historial Florida Keys Hurricanes sites, there have been quite a few since 1919.

I think when there are lives lost because people decided to hang out for parties instead of leaving, then that's more than some wind.

But I don't really want to argue terms.  History says they've had quite a number of hurricanes in the last 100 years.

@QueenDanceALot& @Poodlepet2, there have been other hurricanes that have directly hit the Keys.   There was a hurricane in1935  (before hurricanes were named) that did quite a bit of damage in the Keys & Hurricane Donna (1960) hit the Keys.  In fact, I think the eye of Donna passed over a similar path in the Keys that Irma did.  Those are 2 hurricanes I know of that directly hit the Keys since 1919. 

The 1935 hurricane was utlimately dubbed the Labor Day Hurricane and did considerable damage in the Keys.  When we lived in Fla in the late 1960s, there were people around that told stories about that hurricane.  At one time, it was the strongest hurricane to hit anywhere in the States, don't know whether that is still the case or not though.  It devastated parts of the Keys.

The people that live in the Keys are hardy folks and I wish them the best as they get through this.

And BTW @QueenDanceALot, are you going to buy Johnny Depp's house/farm that is up for sale?   I read they didn't receive the minimum bid at the auction...so you could probably get it for a steal.  Woman LOL   Also, we ate at Carson's a couple of weeks ago.  Had a great time, good food, and want to go back!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Poodlepet2

@QueenDanceALot& @Poodlepet2, there have been other hurricanes that have directly hit the Keys.   There was a hurricane in1935  (before hurricanes were named) that did quite a bit of damage in the Keys & Hurricane Donna (1960) hit the Keys.  In fact, I think the eye of Donna passed over a similar path in the Keys that Irma did.  Those are 2 hurricanes I know of that directly hit the Keys since 1919. 

The 1935 hurricane was utlimately dubbed the Labor Day Hurricane and did considerable damage in the Keys.  When we lived in Fla in the late 1960s, there were people around that told stories about that hurricane.  At one time, it was the strongest hurricane to hit anywhere in the States, don't know whether that is still the case or not though.  It devastated parts of the Keys.

The people that live in the Keys are hardy folks and I wish them the best as they get through this.

And BTW @QueenDanceALot, are you going to buy Johnny Depp's house/farm that is up for sale?   I read they didn't receive the minimum bid at the auction...so you could probably get it for a steal.  Woman LOL   Also, we ate at Carson's a couple of weeks ago.  Had a great time, good food, and want to go back!

@pitdakota

Hey, neighbor!  I used to drive past Betty Sue's Farm every morning on my way to work. I'll have to make an offer!  hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I haven't been to Carson's yet and I live so close!  I'm glad you had a great time, it sounds like a terrific place.  And now that you reminded me I need to get over there, I am going to suggest it to a couple friends that we hit it soon!

Sorta kinda on topic (KY stuff!) .  I am hooked on a reality show about the Ladybirds, the University of Louisville dance team (they win all kinds of awards), called "So Sharp".  It's a hoot!

Respected Contributor

@pitdakota, Thanks for the info but going back that far, many stories have become apocryphal....there were no instruments to really see or record....

At any rate, did Donna really make landfall first in the Keys? There are old timers here in Punta Gorda who swore it hit here because the harbor drained, then storm surge hit.... houses and lodging got hit, but how do we really know? Interesting question....

As you said, the Key West folks who stay and the Hatteras folks who ride it out are brave.....

....I gotta look more into the history however....Why am I not seeing it recorded?

Once again,

Thanks for sharing-stand corrected if I am wrong....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Poodlepet2

@pitdakota

Hey, neighbor!  I used to drive past Betty Sue's Farm every morning on my way to work. I'll have to make an offer!  hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I haven't been to Carson's yet and I live so close!  I'm glad you had a great time, it sounds like a terrific place.  And now that you reminded me I need to get over there, I am going to suggest it to a couple friends that we hit it soon!

Sorta kinda on topic (KY stuff!) .  I am hooked on a reality show about the Ladybirds, the University of Louisville dance team (they win all kinds of awards), called "So Sharp".  It's a hoot!

Well when you move into the place, let me know and I will come visit!  LOL    I know exactly where to come!   Do make a plan to go to Carson's.  It was a really neat place.  I ordered one of the specials that night...it was chicken, but it was delish! 

My daughter is hooked on the Ladybirds show too.  I haven't seen it yet, so now it is my turn...I need to put that on my list and watch it!

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@pitdakota, Thanks for the info but going back that far, many stories have become apocryphal....there were no instruments to really see or record....

At any rate, did Donna really make landfall first in the Keys? There are old timers here in Punta Gorda who swore it hit here because the harbor drained, then storm surge hit.... houses and lodging got hit, but how do we really know? Interesting question....

As you said, the Key West folks who stay and the Hatteras folks who ride it out are brave.....

....I gotta look more into the history however....Why am I not seeing it recorded?

Once again,

Thanks for sharing-stand corrected if I am wrong....

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2, I had to google, but I found quite a bit of information about both hurricanes.  As I posted above, we knew people that talked about the Labor Day Hurricane that hit the Keys.

Here information from NOAA about Hurricane Donna:

https://www.weather.gov/mfl/donna

Here is just one of the articles about the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane that I think will be allowed:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-1935-hurricane-story.html

Esteemed Contributor

It brought me to tears last night when the mayor of San Juan said to a reporter (when speaking of destruction and rebuilding?) (as nearly as I can remember), "Even though you're not here, you're a part of us.  You're a part of us.  Please don't forget us."

Keepin' it real.