Super Contributor

Re: Behind the times re: Cruise Ships

Moonchilde, cruises are wonderful. I seldom pay much, if anything, above the listed price. I don't drink and seldom drink soft drinks. Tea and coffee are always free. You mentioned European river cruises. I have been on four and they are the best of all. Would love to do another, but dread the flight. It seems to be harder as one ages.
Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 dobiesrule said: Moonchilde, cruises are wonderful. I seldom pay much, if anything, above the listed price. I don't drink and seldom drink soft drinks. Tea and coffee are always free. You mentioned European river cruises. I have been on four and they are the best of all. Would love to do another, but dread the flight. It seems to be harder as one ages.

DG, your enthusiasm is infectious. I'm glad you enjoy your cruises :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I would rather visit a destination than sit on a ship. I have been on two cruises. The buffet was included, the dinner with the captain extra plus you have to dress up. That is not me, so I opted for the buffet both times. It was wonderful. This was many years ago so it may have changed.

Honored Contributor

On 11/25/2014 Amaly said:

I would rather visit a destination than sit on a ship. I have been on two cruises. The buffet was included, the dinner with the captain extra plus you have to dress up. That is not me, so I opted for the buffet both times. It was wonderful. This was many years ago so it may have changed.

I'm the same as far as wanting to spend more time at my travel destination. But I know that many people enjoy cruising.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 BeanCounter17 said:
On 11/24/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

Yes cruising can be expensive. That is nothing new. I like cruising because I unpack and I'm done worrying about it for the length of the vacation. We can chose to eat in the dining room or in a specialty restaurant. They take us to different islands and/or ports. We are planning a 14 day Mediterranean cruise on Regent and that includes air, shore excursions, tipping.

To each their own.

Posted on the one above yours - I took a Med cruise back in 2008. I absolutely loved it - if you have never been, only one word of advice: make sure you have the ability to walk a lot (are in good shape). Rome especially was such a LONG day cuz it's inland, we had to meet at 7am, board buses for the 1.5 hr drive to Rome and then we got off and walked a LOT, met at 4:45 to board buses for the 1.5 hr ride back and got to ship about 6:30pm. Cruising the Med usually is when kids are in school and expensive so it was mostly older people. In Rome we lost 4 couples to the long day (lost - as in when we drove from one site to another they asked if they could stay on the bus - but luckily there were two tour guides and one walked them to a small café and told them if they wandered, to please be sure to be back at the café at 4:30pm so they could rejoin us for the ride back).

I was 53 then, had my 19 year old college niece in great shape (she was and still is a runner). She, who walked everywhere on college campus and yet: after two such long days in ports asked if, on long days we could go back onto the ship and eat in the buffet, because you are so exhausted when you return to the ship. She said she was in no mood to shower and dress for dinner and have to make small talk - she said she'd rather eat at her own pace, get up and leave quickly and then head off for a leisurely stroll to see things we might otherwise miss on the ship. I also had great advice from others who'd been to some of these ports who told me that some were much more conducive to just getting off and wandering on your own, at your own pace (we did so in Monaco, Mykonos and the last 2 days in Venice). If you've already done the Med before, you can ignore the above because you already know this!

I just saw this BeanCounter!!! Thanks for the advise! I figured that Rome would be a big day, but I didn't anticipate it being exhausting{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Good to know! We will have to make it an early night the night before we arrive in Rome. We are very excited to go. I love cruising. My husband and I have gone to Europe several times and we drove ourselves around at our own pace, so taking a cruise sounds good to us, no hauling the luggage in and out of the car to the hotels. There are pluses and minuses to cruising. I like to relax on some vacations, so this will be a great one! I'm glad you enjoyed it and we are hoping to do the same.