Respected Contributor

Re: Behind the times re: Cruise Ships

On 11/24/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

Yes cruising can be expensive. That is nothing new. I like cruising because I unpack and I'm done worrying about it for the length of the vacation. We can chose to eat in the dining room or in a specialty restaurant. They take us to different islands and/or ports. We are planning a 14 day Mediterranean cruise on Regent and that includes air, shore excursions, tipping.

To each their own.

Posted on the one above yours - I took a Med cruise back in 2008. I absolutely loved it - if you have never been, only one word of advice: make sure you have the ability to walk a lot (are in good shape). Rome especially was such a LONG day cuz it's inland, we had to meet at 7am, board buses for the 1.5 hr drive to Rome and then we got off and walked a LOT, met at 4:45 to board buses for the 1.5 hr ride back and got to ship about 6:30pm. Cruising the Med usually is when kids are in school and expensive so it was mostly older people. In Rome we lost 4 couples to the long day (lost - as in when we drove from one site to another they asked if they could stay on the bus - but luckily there were two tour guides and one walked them to a small café and told them if they wandered, to please be sure to be back at the café at 4:30pm so they could rejoin us for the ride back).

I was 53 then, had my 19 year old college niece in great shape (she was and still is a runner). She, who walked everywhere on college campus and yet: after two such long days in ports asked if, on long days we could go back onto the ship and eat in the buffet, because you are so exhausted when you return to the ship. She said she was in no mood to shower and dress for dinner and have to make small talk - she said she'd rather eat at her own pace, get up and leave quickly and then head off for a leisurely stroll to see things we might otherwise miss on the ship. I also had great advice from others who'd been to some of these ports who told me that some were much more conducive to just getting off and wandering on your own, at your own pace (we did so in Monaco, Mykonos and the last 2 days in Venice). If you've already done the Med before, you can ignore the above because you already know this!

Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 BeanCounter17 said:

Yes cruising can be expensive. That is nothing new. I like cruising because I unpack and I'm done worrying about it for the length of the vacation. We can chose to eat in the dining room or in a specialty restaurant. They take us to different islands and/or ports. We are planning a 14 day Mediterranean cruise on Regent and that includes air, shore excursions, tipping.

To each their own.

Posted on the one above yours - I took a Med cruise back in 2008. I absolutely loved it - if you have never been, only one word of advice: make sure you have the ability to walk a lot (are in good shape). Rome especially was such a LONG day cuz it's inland, we had to meet at 7am, board buses for the 1.5 hr drive to Rome and then we got off and walked a LOT, met at 4:45 to board buses for the 1.5 hr ride back and got to ship about 6:30pm. Cruising the Med usually is when kids are in school and expensive so it was mostly older people. In Rome we lost 4 couples to the long day (lost - as in when we drove from one site to another they asked if they could stay on the bus - but luckily there were two tour guides and one walked them to a small café and told them if they wandered, to please be sure to be back at the café at 4:30pm so they could rejoin us for the ride back).

I was 53 then, had my 19 year old college niece in great shape (she was and still is a runner). She, who walked everywhere on college campus and yet: after two such long days in ports asked if, on long days we could go back onto the ship and eat in the buffet, because you are so exhausted when you return to the ship. She said she was in no mood to shower and dress for dinner and have to make small talk - she said she'd rather eat at her own pace, get up and leave quickly and then head off for a leisurely stroll to see things we might otherwise miss on the ship. I also had great advice from others who'd been to some of these ports who told me that some were much more conducive to just getting off and wandering on your own, at your own pace (we did so in Monaco, Mykonos and the last 2 days in Venice). If you've already done the Med before, you can ignore the above because you already know this!

Best Excursion for us hands down: Amalfi Coast by Land & Sea. NICE.

Rome: The Private Tours are better. A car, a driver . . . maybe 4-5 people depending on a car or van . . . and not that much more expensive than a bus tour. I think you see a little more. I wasn't that impressed with Rome. Especially the Coliseum. I'd have been just as happy staying with the driver in the car on that one site. We had enough people in our group to do a car (us) and my husband's sister and her family in a small van . . . and we were able to keep together most of the day as the drivers were from the same company. They pick you up at the dock and drop you back off.

Honored Contributor

I think I watch that same channel and many of the programs are very informative.

Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Bungo said:

I think I watch that same channel and many of the programs are very informative.

AWE channel? I had never heard of it until I switched to U-Verse, and they have it. Travel, luxury goods and destinations, history and archaeology - all kinds of programs. I watch it a lot.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Qwackertoo said:

To each their own.

Rome: The Private Tours are better. A car, a driver . . . maybe 4-5 people depending on a car or van . . . and not that much more expensive than a bus tour. I think you see a little more. I wasn't that impressed with Rome. Especially the Coliseum. I'd have been just as happy staying with the driver in the car on that one site. We had enough people in our group to do a car (us) and my husband's sister and her family in a small van . . . and we were able to keep together most of the day as the drivers were from the same company. They pick you up at the dock and drop you back off.

Absolutely, but some things you don't figure out or learn till it's too late. I was willing to just get off and wander in Monaco and Mykonos because others told me those were easy ports to do so. Venice we did the same cuz we were there for 2 days in port. For Rome, Naples, Florence and Turkey ports I felt safer using the ship excursions because I had my niece with me. It was more the responsibility of having my niece there and thinking - my sister will kill me if something happens to us while in my care (although a 19 y/o isn't really in your care at that age!). The other reason I brought up excursions is cuz Luv2Decorate is taking her cruise on a ship that they are included in the cost so she may not be booking independently) and taking advantage of them since they are included in the cost.

Honored Contributor

To each their own.

This is part of the reason that cruising has not appealed to me that much. You are in port one day, and have to see it all in 8 hrs. I would prefer to visit a country more in depth. I wouldn't want to visit Rome or Venice, for example, for one day. And yes, spending the day walking wouldn't be possible for me either. I'd be the car & driver renting sort.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Qwackertoo said:

To each their own.

Absolutely, but some things you don't figure out or learn till it's too late. I was willing to just get off and wander in Monaco and Mykonos because others told me those were easy ports to do so. Venice we did the same cuz we were there for 2 days in port. For Rome, Naples, Florence and Turkey ports I felt safer using the ship excursions because I had my niece with me. It was more the responsibility of having my niece there and thinking - my sister will kill me if something happens to us while in my care (although a 19 y/o isn't really in your care at that age!). The other reason I brought up excursions is cuz Luv2Decorate is taking her cruise on a ship that they are included in the cost so she may not be booking independently) and taking advantage of them since they are included in the cost.

Yep. Being a family of four . . . subset of a family group of sixteen . . . we have to select our excursions and spend those dollars carefully . . . like Hawaii and helicopter tours or snorkeling excursions . . . or Alaska helicopter or fixed wing water/boat type tours . . . they ADD up quickly. And YES safety especially in Rome, Barcelona and others is VERY IMPORTANT too . . . as we have kids and other kids in extended family to consider . . . even though my kids poked fun at me and my slash proof / lockable zippers & compartments purse. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Many, many meals and activities are included in the price of most cruises. In most ports you have the option of purchasing excursions or going ashore and sightseeing on your own -- either on foot or by renting taxis or purchasing local tours. Most of the big cruise lines include non-alcoholic beverages in the price of meals, but charge for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages purchased at various bars, from waiters by the pool, etc. They also offer drink packages that allow you to order all the non-alcoholic drinks you want for a set price. We learned that there are self-serve non-alcoholic drink stations open 24/7 in some of the cafeterias and other casual food venues on board. We went there and served ourselves any time at no cost and then took the beverage with us to the pool or deck-chair. Some cruise ships do offer the fancy extra-charge restaurants, but we found the included meals in the dining room or casual venues totally to our liking and plenty fancy enough for our tastes. you can pay for the extra-fancy restaurant experience if you choose, but it's totally up to you.

In short, you can spend as much "extra" for frills and activities as you want -- or you can keep the budget in line by doing more for yourself and taking full advantage of included activities.

Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 GoodStuff said:

In short, you can spend as much "extra" for frills and activities as you want -- or you can keep the budget in line by doing more for yourself and taking full advantage of included activities.

Yep. While a balcony is nice . . . it depends on one's budget and priorities. Daughter is going on a short 4 night cruise after finals next month with a group of friends . . . a first for her going without US . . . and they are doing inside cabins and 3 & 4 to a cabin. While not my particular preference . . . they are going to have FUN and do it on a budget. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 11/24/2014 missy1 said:

The food was always free on the ship. Any drinks there was a charge. It's billed to the cabin #.

If you can get by with non-alcoholic drinks or soda, there is no extra charge on most cruise lines. Water, tea/coffee or iced tea and coffee are available 24 hours. (Don't fall for the pricey bottled water they sell as you are leaving the ship: Take your own water bottle and fill it from the ice water dispensers onboard).

When we cruise (most recently on Norwegian, but also RCCL and NCL), we buy a bottle of wine at dinner (no more expensive than in a restaurant) and if we don't finish it, we can either have them hold it till the next night, or they let you take it back to the room and bring it with you the next night (if you haven't already finished it in your room).

Same with Latte's or fancy coffees. In the dining room they are free and you can order one at lunch or dinner and carry it to the entertainment venue with you rather than order one during the show at an upcharge.

Never have seen the need for eating in a specialty restaurant onboard with all the free options available.

As for tipping, it is up to you just as it is in a hotel. We tip the wine steward and our room steward, and waiters only on cruses where we have assigned seating and the same ones for the entire cruise.