Honored Contributor

Re: Before you throw away those old pictures

I love to look at old photos.  There are many sites on line where you can view them.  I love to look at the clothing, the homes, and the hair styles.

i also like to see old photos of the town where I grew up or places  i like to visit, like Cape May, NJ.  Over the years, things change so much.

i think it is a great idea to not destroy pictures that you think have no purpose.  Many are actually a time machine back into America’s history.

All of this purging and throwing stuff out is destroying who we are and where we are from.  We are getting to be a throw away society.

When  I hear about all the things people collected over the years, and then one day they decided it is clutter and throw it out, I cringe.  I think people have spending problems.  They need to stop buying stuff they don't need, then they wouldn’t have to get rid of it.  All the hard earned money thrown in the trash....I just don’t get it.  Maybe future generations will get a glimpse of us by going through our trash.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I worked in a museum for the last 10 years of my working days.  Yes, local museums like photos of old homes, if they are hisoric now.  Also, downtown scenes, old buildings.  Especially interesting are buildings, old lots and such that are now gone.  Does your photo contain a former school teacher, mayor, council, city personel? Parades are especially loved.  They often contain prominent people, and local personalities and themes

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:
Italians (and Irish) were very discriminated against back in those days, and that may have been why.  It's sad, in a way.

Here's a pic of an old sign that I saw online.

http://www.skibbereeneagle.ie/web/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_Nf5FfHNth64/SV6_iE374tI/AAAAAAAADss/ToH3-pvUWHg/s1600/Image7%5B1%5D.gif

Shoekitty said

every immigrant group was persecuted as they came over in numbers.  The Irish fled Ireland during the famine, and they were banned in many areas.  Mainly because they were Catholic.  Catholicism was railed against.  I think this why in the big cities groups of people hung with there own, forming areas of the city that were of one racial background. But the Irish werent alone.  The Italians were next, as well as Jewish.  Jewish were forbidden in many facets of community life. I know in california as late as 1969 jewish were not allowed in a country club where we lived.  Many things were unwritten, but very known.  To me these prejudices against groups of human is amongst the most shameful chapters in our history. Hopefully we learn and grow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:
Italians (and Irish) were very discriminated against back in those days, and that may have been why.  It's sad, in a way.

Here's a pic of an old sign that I saw online.

http://www.skibbereeneagle.ie/web/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_Nf5FfHNth64/SV6_iE374tI/AAAAAAAADss/ToH3-pvUWHg/s1600/Image7%5B1%5D.gif

My father always had this sign up in the house. He was Irish and we always thought it was funny.

So every St Patrick's Day, I made a sign like this and put it up thinking it was so funny. Until I learned that it really was put up to discriminateSmiley Sad

I mean you think I would have known, and I don't remember him explaining it.

I did the same as @CelticCrafter-

I looked through trunks and trunks of my fathers and his family's letters and pictures and history and sent them to cousins and aunts and who I thought would find meaning in them. I kept those of us and my immediate family.

I don't really like old photographs. My sister kept 2 giant ones of our great grandparents in her dining room.

My father sent us all pictures of my grandmothers grave. That's just not something I want to save. I know others may feel differently.

I think everyone has different and maybe mixed feelings about their families past history.

Some of my children are very interested and some not at all.

One of my cousins is kind of obsessed about all things about our families past. 

But I already spent months and months going thru it all and sending it to others, so I have only saved a little thats meaningful to me, and condensed it to all the interesting stuff.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

People always think they are more important historically than they are. Like the poster who mentioned that the historical society or museum is looking more for photos of people and places that were actual history makers in the community. I personally would never post photos of my family on facebook.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

I’d love to know the name of that FB group, or at least how to find it...thanks!

I have posted old pictures and ancestry.com info for our DD, cousins and nieces and nephews. This has worked out great in our cases, and the whole family started sharing photos!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

my 78 year old mother, who has been decluttering for several years now, came across photos of people and places she doesnt even know. some were my fathers, some were her parents, some were my great aunt and uncles. she questioned why she was keeping them after all of these years and yes, she did just throw them out. because she could not identify places or people in the photos. we were TOTALLY fine with that. LOL if she wasnt going to rid of them then it would be passed along to us. no regrets......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Mominohio

I’d love to know the name of that FB group, or at least how to find it...thanks!

I have posted old pictures and ancestry.com info for our DD, cousins and nieces and nephews. This has worked out great in our cases, and the whole family started sharing photos!

@LTT1

This particular FB page is only for one county in Ohio. I'm sure a FB search keying in on words suited to your state/city/county might turn something up.