Honored Contributor

Been out to eat twice this week

I have had my mom and her husband up from FL here in GA all week.  My state reopened late April.  We've gone out for breakfast and dinner.

Servers are masked and gloved.  Tables are empty with everything brought to you like condiments which are single packs and menus are disposable.  

The table or booth next to you is Xed out and one restaurant had a disinfecting station.  We also wiped down our own tables and utensils with our own wipes and no one is taking offense.  We are all doing our parts.

There are signs that if you are symptomatic you are not allowed but no one is actually taking temps.  

You definitely have company inside with you but it's not been overwhelming.  If there is a wait, you wait in your cars although we walked in both times.  No wait.  Servers are happy to be back, businesses are doing quite well because people are really just over the whole home cooking game and their own four walls, and normalcy with a twist is settling in.  

It has gone quite well here in my part of the world so there is hope to be out and about as you were again.  When you get the green light or already have one, this is eating out post quarantine.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Been out to eat twice this week

I can't wait for the restaurants to open here in Chicago.  Your procedures sound reasonable.  I personally think it should be by reservation only, no walk ins, so that the number of people at any one time can be controlled.  I bet that the workers are happy to be back.  They need the income.  Hope everyone who is able tips generously.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 The tips are flowing based on what I have heard.  People want to help by patronizing and supporting.

And I can tell you my employer is opening their F&B side next week and it will be rsvp only for dine in only (still no bars or access like that allowed here) so the entire town doesn't overwhelm them.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 is there a rise in cases now that your state has opened up somewhat.

Trusted Contributor

Nice to hear that all is going well. In my county of PA (dark red on any map) we are not close to opening although some areas in the northwestern part of my state are talking about easing restrictions. I am in no hurry right now.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50There's a Chicago restaurant owner in my famiily.  They've been doing take-out, and trying to work out how re-opening for more can be done.  There are lots of new procedures and new supplies needed, so they have to be able to have all that and pay for all that before they expand what they're doing.  I know they're working on it.  

I do think the wait staff almost everywhere will be nicely tipped at least in these early days -  whether the business itself can turn enough profit to be open is going to be a different story. 

That's a story we're going to be hearing in many different kinds of businesses.  The costs of coping safely with this virus can be very large.  I expect it to take many months until we know what thrives and what dies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have had my mom and her husband up from FL here in GA all week.  My state reopened late April.  We've gone out for breakfast and dinner.

Servers are masked and gloved.  Tables are empty with everything brought to you like condiments which are single packs and menus are disposable.  

The table or booth next to you is Xed out and one restaurant had a disinfecting station.  We also wiped down our own tables and utensils with our own wipes and no one is taking offense.  We are all doing our parts.

There are signs that if you are symptomatic you are not allowed but no one is actually taking temps.  

You definitely have company inside with you but it's not been overwhelming.  If there is a wait, you wait in your cars although we walked in both times.  No wait.  Servers are happy to be back, businesses are doing quite well because people are really just over the whole home cooking game and their own four walls, and normalcy with a twist is settling in.  

It has gone quite well here in my part of the world so there is hope to be out and about as you were again.  When you get the green light or already have one, this is eating out post quarantine.  

Good for you!

See, people?

It can be safely done!

No "doom and gloom"!

I am looking forward to when sit-down dinning resumes here.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@dex No.  We've had issues in counties where the chicken plants are but as a whole, we are down from our peaks in April.  My county was down 55% as of last week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

nothing going on here in maryland or delaware yet in regards to restaurants fully opening. we have not even gotten to PHASE ONE yet in my county.

in the meantime, we are supporting our local restaurants 1 - 2 times a week by ordering carryout.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

The stats I saw showed that the numbers are down.