Respected Contributor

Been Watching Extreme Couponing and . .

I guess some people think it's great, but to me it represents some rather pointless hoarding.

Who needs 40 boxes of salt, or 12 jars of brown mustard, or a hundred bottles of laundry detergent? Or 20 lipsticks - you don't even look at the colors - just because they only cost ten cents or so.

These people give up their living space to store their "stash", and I feel certain that a lot of the things they have , like canned goods, will "go bad" before it's used, or newer varieties of products will be offered before the stash is used. I've read that you should never use any of the baking mixes or flours after a year, because they also spoil. I remember a year or so ago a woman - obviously at least 50 - was so proud of her year's supply of feminine products, even though she had no daughters. What's this all about anyway.

I do use coupons on a regular basis, but I do so to buy the things that we will use within a couple of months - not a lifetime supply.

Am I the only one who feels this way, or is what they are doing logical? It might seem different to me if they were sharing with a needy group, but taking your son's closet to store food products due to an overrun seems like a sickness.

Super Contributor

Re: Been Watching Extreme Couponing and . .

It is a sickness I believe in the hoarding category....why would anyone feel proud about owning 200 deodorants or 65 boxes of cereal? Unless you are donating it to charity.....it is just odd.
Honored Contributor

A nice man came to the food bank with cartons and cartons of canned foods from his mother's home. She had recently died - she was a couponer and hoarder. Almost everything he brought in was far past the expiration dates - like 10 years past.

Honored Contributor

I can't watch those shows. It's glorifying their sickness, IMO
Honored Contributor

Very rarely do they do a show where the couponer donated the haul to a local charity.

Deodorant goes rancid for lack of a better word, unopened cereal goes stale at a certain point and I sure wouldn't want all those boxes of pasta sitting around to go buggy and infest other things.

Super Contributor

On 1/3/2015 happy housewife said:

A nice man came to the food bank with cartons and cartons of canned foods from his mother's home. She had recently died - she was a couponer and hoarder. Almost everything he brought in was far past the expiration dates - like 10 years past.

He should have seen that before bringing them to the food bank. Even people needing charity deserve fresh food not past the pull date. I am sure he meant well and donated it with good intentions.
Super Contributor

I think it really is a selfish hobby....to clear a shelf in a store of product....buying so much there is none left for anyone else to buy....and just store it in a room to admire what you have? Just sick.
Respected Contributor

I do like to watch, but wouldn't dream of doing that, myself. I use coupons and like saving money, but what those people are doing takes a lot of time and space. And lots of the items they are buying with the coupons are junk food, it seems.

Regular Contributor

I think that some of these people sell some of what they have. They just don't say that that's what they do because then the IRS would be contacting them about income and taxes. Did you hear them talk about how this shopping trip was going to pay for whatever it was that they were planning?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see many coupons worth while anymore like there use to be in the paper. Now there is buy 4 -6 for a lower price. Hard to fine room enough for that. Toilet paper and paper towels and cat litter go in the garage when I find a bargain.