Honored Contributor

@151949

i have had dual citizenship since the day i was born, but the USA doesnt recognize my second country of citizenship (not the UK). i do have two passports, two birth certificates, two "social security" cards.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Becoming a dual citizen

[ Edited ]

@151949- Sorry, but that information about taxation is not correct, as far as England is concerned.

There is, as I stated, a reciprocal agreement with England.  You pay tax to the UK, if that's where you're living.  Up to an agreed threshhold of income, you do not have to pay tax to the US as well.  However, over that threshhold you do.

And as a US citizen living abroad you are still required to file an annual IRS tax return, even if you haven't reached that threshhold.  As I said, I lived and worked there for 20 years.  And both my husband (a UK citizen) and I worked for the Inland Revenue.  We know the applicable tax laws.

However, this is rather getting away from the original point of this thread, I think.

Valued Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

. . . 

And as a US citizen living abroad you are still required to file an annual IRS tax return, even if you haven't reached that threshhold.  As I said, I lived and worked there for 20 years.  And both my husband (a UK citizen) and I worked for the Inland Revenue.  We know the applicable tax laws.

However, this is rather getting away from the original point of this thread, I think.

-------

The above information is correct. Having lived abroad and having close family currently residing on three different continents, I can attest to its accuracy.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@151949- Sorry, but that information about taxation is not correct, as far as England is concerned.

There is, as I stated, a reciprocal agreement with England.  You pay tax to the UK, if that's where you're living.  Up to an agreed threshhold of income, you do not have to pay tax to the US as well.  However, over that threshhold you do.

Our income was under the threshold then because we never paid any US taxes while we lived abroad. When living in Saudi and France we had our pay dirctly deposited into Swiss bank accounts and never had to declare that money either. We lived out of our savings account instead of a paycheck. Some countries make it very easy to not pay taxes.My DH did have to pay British  taxes when we lived in London and in the British virgin islands. But not US taxes.

AS for the citizenship - the USA does not recognize dual citizenship so if you are a citizen of another country you can't also be a citizen here and get the privledges of it like being able to vote. As far as I know. That's not to say some people wouldn't lie and still register to vote here and maybe not get caught. Once he got his green card to work here in the US though he started to pay into Social security and when he died young I did get SS for his children. Any worker with a green card in the US pays into SS And receives it when they come of age , just like a citizen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia @Highlands72 @sunshine45 are all correct.

I have dual citizenship: DH(a fellow Brit) became a US citizen about 20 years ago due to his occupation; my in-laws have dual citizenship as of 10 years ago (Brits) and one BIL who is back in the UK has dual citizenship.

Inlaws pay taxes to both countries; PITA but they do own a home in the UK as well as other places. They also pull pensions from both the UK and the US.

BIL is considering denouncing is US citizenship as he has been paying taxes to both UK and US though he hasn't lived in the us for 25 years. He was born in the UK to Brit parents but was given a US citizenship as a child when Dad was transferred here. The thing is, he will be able to pull US SS in addition to his UK pension; so, he continues to pay at this point. 

What the Royals will do, who knows.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our income was under the threshold then because we never paid any US taxes while we lived abroad. When living in Saudi and France we had our pay dirctly deposited into Swiss bank accounts and never had to declare that money either. We lived out of our savings account instead of a paycheck. Some countries make it very easy to not pay taxes.My DH did have to pay British  taxes when we lived in London and in the British virgin islands. But not US taxes.

AS for the citizenship - the USA does not recognize dual citizenship so if you are a citizen of another country you can't also be a citizen here and get the privledges of it like being able to vote. As far as I know. That's not to say some people wouldn't lie and still register to vote here and maybe not get caught. Once he got his green card to work here in the US though he started to pay into Social security and when he died young I did get SS for his children. Any worker with a green card in the US pays into SS And receives it when they come of age , just like a citizen.

1)  Swiss bank accounts are notorious for shielding money.  Just because you didn't file or pay, doesn't mean you weren't legally required to.

2)  Yes, the US does recognize dual nationality.  I have it and I did not lie to get it . I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's simply wrong.

3)  Not necessarily; if a person works for a state government and pays into that equivalent of SS, he or she does not pay into SS.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@151949 wrote:

1)  Swiss bank accounts are notorious for shielding money.  Just because you didn't file or pay, doesn't mean you weren't legally required to.

2)  Yes, the US does recognize dual nationality.  I have it and I did not lie to get it . I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's simply wrong.

3)  Not necessarily; if a person works for a state government and pays into that equivalent of SS, he or she does not pay into SS.

@Venezia

Thank you for trying to clarify these facts, you are totally correct.  However, in this case I believe you are wasting your time.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe- Thank you.  I know, but I can't stand to have someone misrepresent the facts.  Smiley Happy

(Just had a thought:  Or are these "alternate facts"?)  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Could cause the Monarchy scrutiny by the IRS.  As it is now, she is in for a confusing ride with many IRS rules to follow or be taxed quite heavily.  

An interesting read is here

Google

Meghan Markle could get an allowance from the British royal family — but she may have to pay double the taxes

I read somewhere that she'll probably give up her U.S. citizenship for that reason.  She most definitely will have a hefty allowance now that she's a part of the Royal family and she willl also have a staff and a huge budget.  The article also said that as a major Royal, while the law doesn't call for her to give up her citizenship here, tradition does.

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I remember Fergie saying how cheap and stingy the Queen was when she was married to one of the Royals. I can't imagine the Queen giving her any money, even if it's taxpayer money.

She said the wine was horrid and it was cold in the room she stayed in.  She also stated that in your own when you marry into the family.  You don’t go to etiquette classes or “Royal” classes to learn how to fit in.  

No one believed any of that then and we know now that Fergie lied.  Diana received her training for the Queen Mother and also....from Camilla, her future husband's  "good friend".   It's already been announced that Kate went through training and Meghan will have six months of Royal training.  One of the Queen's social secretaries was scheduled to retire but she has agreed to stay on for 6 months to train Meghan.  Kate needed less training because she and William had lived together for so many years before their marriage that she had learned much from exposure.