Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Becoming a dual citizen

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake - GOOGLE is your friend. The USA does not recognize dual citizenship but if you are an American Citizen  & go become a citizen elsewhere they won't take away your US citizenship privledges.

However, if you immigrate here you are required to give up your citizenship in that other country to become a citizen here.

I'd say you need to rely less on GOOGLE and do your own research into the laws, before telling people who clearly have firsthand experience of this very subject that they need to google it!

(ETA:  BTW, when I got dual nationality, I didn't need GOOGLE as my "friend".  I went to the American Embassy.  For heaven's sake!)

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake - GOOGLE is your friend. The USA does not recognize dual citizenship but if you are an American Citizen  & go become a citizen elsewhere they won't take away your US citizenship privledges.

However, if you immigrate here you are required to give up your citizenship in that other country to become a citizen here.

this is false. they may not recognize your other country of citizenship, but it IS quite possible to become a citizen here and NOT lose your other citizenship OR your american citizenship.

@sunshine45- I've decided there's no point in trying to clarify this issue with certain posters any longer, since some seem to think they know the applicable laws, even when they are patently wrong.

You and I should save our time and sanity.  When people rely on GOOGLE (as their friend) instead of actually researching the law through a government site or in person with a government representative...well, if it's on the Internet, it must be true, mustn't it? Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

If a child is born to an American Mother and the Father is from Sweden, the child has dual citizenship. In order to travel, the child must have two passports.

I know this for a fact because that child is our daughter-in-law. Also, both of our grandchildren have dual citizenship.

I don't think this is accurate. I have dual citizenship and I'm only required to have a passport issued in the country in which I live @VenturaHighway

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@VenturaHighway wrote:

If a child is born to an American Mother and the Father is from Sweden, the child has dual citizenship. In order to travel, the child must have two passports.

I know this for a fact because that child is our daughter-in-law. Also, both of our grandchildren have dual citizenship.

I don't think this is accurate. I have dual citizenship and I'm only required to have a passport issued in the country in which I live @VenturaHighway

@TexasmouseThere was a reason for this but I won't go into the details.

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@VenturaHighway

@Texasmouse

i have two passports because i HAVE to. the other country i am a citizen of will not let me travel there on an american passport......even though i was born here. there is no way around it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@VenturaHighway

@Texasmouse

i have two passports because i HAVE to. the other country i am a citizen of will not let me travel there on an american passport......even though i was born here. there is no way around it.

@sunshine45Thank-you, there are so many laws with different countries. 

Super Contributor

Fergie has always been very respectful to the Queen. So I find your comment hard to believe.