Respected Contributor

Become an organ donor video - so heartwarming!

[ Edited ]

This video was on CBS This Morning - I cried so hard!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vwvvc

Honored Contributor

Re: Become an organ donor video - will break your heart!

I didn't watch the video.  I and my family have been organ donors for years (since you could).

When my husband died I donated what I could.  My family and I went to a ceremony celebrating all organ donors and their families.

Many people don't know but organ donors have a quilt, much like the AIDS quilt.  When he died the organization asked me if I wanted to donate a square for the quilt, I did and it's on the quilt.  In fact not too long after that the quilt was written up in a magazine and right there in the picture you could see his square!

The celebration of life (as it is called, I believe) had many people there.  People got up and told personal stories about how they'd received sometimes several donated organs (some more than once).  They told how appreciative they are.

We each were given small saplings of trees to take home and plant.  It was very wonderful and emotional.

At the ceremony every race was represented, every color, every mixture of races.  

However, we noticed and it was brought to our attention that (at that time, maybe 10 years ago) the donors were primarily white.  They said they felt they had to do more to educate people on the importance of donating organs and that ALL races benefit from donations and there are many times when it is necessary to keep the same race (donor and recipent).  Sometimes it involves religion but many times it is due to people not understanding.

We had my husband cremated so we could have him put in Arlington National Cemetery (that's where I will go when I die with him).

I am glad you brought this up so people can become aware of the program.  Annabelle

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I didn't watch the video.  I and my family have been organ donors for years (since you could).

When my husband died I donated what I could.  My family and I went to a ceremony celebrating all organ donors and their families.

Many people don't know but organ donors have a quilt, much like the AIDS quilt.  When he died the organization asked me if I wanted to donate a square for the quilt, I did and it's on the quilt.  In fact not too long after that the quilt was written up in a magazine and right there in the picture you could see his square!

The celebration of life (as it is called, I believe) had many people there.  People got up and told personal stories about how they'd received sometimes several donated organs (some more than once).  They told how appreciative they are.

We each were given small saplings of trees to take home and plant.  It was very wonderful and emotional.

At the ceremony every race was represented, every color, every mixture of races.  

However, we noticed and it was brought to our attention that (at that time, maybe 10 years ago) the donors were primarily white.  They said they felt they had to do more to educate people on the importance of donating organs and that ALL races benefit from donations and there are many times when it is necessary to keep the same race (donor and recipent).  Sometimes it involves religion but many times it is due to people not understanding.

We had my husband cremated so we could have him put in Arlington National Cemetery (that's where I will go when I die with him).

I am glad you brought this up so people can become aware of the program.  Annabelle

@Annabellethecat66 - it's a very sweet video - you should watch. 

Honored Contributor

My daughters and I are organ donors; my husband's health issues makes him ineligible.   

Respected Contributor

Don't be afraid to watch the video - it is very heartwarming. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Become an organ donor video - so heartwarming!

More proof that our best friends are furry, four-legged, and loyal to a fault.  Can't beat that unconditional love!  And a wonderful message to boot.

Esteemed Contributor

I also have a health issuebthat makes me ineligible but I've always had a question......

Do hospitals charge the recipient for the organ I freely donated the way you get charged for blood or plasma that's donated and freely given by donors?

Honored Contributor

Nice video but, to me, it missed the point. What do dogs have to do with harvesting body parts?

Neither I nor my family members are donors.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I also have a health issuebthat makes me ineligible but I've always had a question......

Do hospitals charge the recipient for the organ I freely donated the way you get charged for blood or plasma that's donated and freely given by donors?

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'm not sure about any fees for the recipent but I do know of a living kidney donor who did not have any bills associated with her surgery for her donation.

I hope to be an organ donor. I can't think of a reason to be buried intact when someone could benefit.

Respected Contributor

They dont want mine-cancer victim, not survivor...yet.