Valued Contributor

Re: Beatles And Abbey Road

[ Edited ]

I recently listened to Abbey Road and the White Album, and I was surprised at how dated some of their music sounded.

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

I recently listened to Abbey Road and the White Album, and I was surprised at how dated some of their music sounded.

@PuppyLoverBob666  😂  I have no doubt it will last and still be popular long after you are gone. 

Trusted Contributor

Love the Beatles and the music of that era.  Took my daughter to a Stones concert a while back and all she kept saying is "I didn't know this was their song."  Of course she was making comments about  all us "old" folks at the concert but was surprised to learn she knew most of the music.  Just did not know it was the Stones songs she was singing and dancing to.  Needless to say, she loved the concert.  Some music never dies.  

Trusted Contributor

Let's see, according to the Paul is Dead conspiracy:

John was supposed to be the preacher

Ringo - the undertaker

Paul - the corpse (burial without shoes was a custom)

George - the gravedigger

Anyone remember seeing that special many, many years ago explaining all the clues and signals?  i.e. "I buried Paul," the walrus is a Norwegian sign of death, etc.

Funny I can remember that but forget a dentist appointment.

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I have no doubt it will last and still be popular long after you are gone. 

What a lovely thing to say. 

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Ringo - the undertaker

George - the gravedigger

Anyone remember seeing that special many, many years ago explaining all the clues and signals?  i.e. "I buried Paul," the walrus is a Norwegian sign of death, etc.

@PilatesLover   We were caught up in the conspiracy issue that Paul was dead as evidenced on the Abbey Road cover.

I listened to countless theories on the radio and we talked about it endlessly.

Thank heavens he is now 80 and still with us. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Valued Contributor

I like the two remaining Beatles but, really, Ringo is my favorite. He's 80 years old (I think) and looks exactly (in my opinion) the way an aging rocker should look. Evidently he hasn't abused his body with drugs etc. and I hope he'll be around for a while.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

Ringo - the undertaker

George - the gravedigger

@PilatesLover   We were caught up in the conspiracy issue that Paul was dead as evidenced on the Abbey Road cover.

@Mersha  Last week when Paul was turning 80 I kept seeing on FB a photo of Paul today with his arms around a life sized cutout of him from his Beatles days when he was in his 20s.  I forwarded it to a few Beatles fans friends of mine with the comnent "for those who thought Paul was dead."  Clearly the faces of both Paul and the cutout were the same, with one having aged. There was no denying it was the same person!

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

Ringo - the undertaker

George - the gravedigger

@Mersha @PilatesLover 

It wasn't just the Abbey Road cover.  The cover for Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band was also "filled" with clues that Paul was dead, on the cover and the supposed backward playing of "A Day in the Life".

I remember both albums and the conspiracies but there were also others.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Paul could primp me any time! ?

i have seen that photo before in one of the millions ? of Beatles biographies I've read but I haven't seen it in many years so thanks for posting it @Mersha . It's a good one!

As many of you probably know, Abbey Road was going to be named Mt Everest, and the Beatles were going to go to Mt Everest to shoot a photo for the album cover.  Some of the Beatles thought that was too much of a shlep (not their exact words! ?)  for an album cover  so Paul said let's just go outside the (then EMI) record studio and do the shoot.  Hence, Abbey Road and the iconic walk across it.

@hckynutjohn   Your wife isn't the only self-proclaimed Beatles historian!

@Pearlee  thanks very much for the explanation. Didn't know. I loved seeing pictures of the Beatles so much that when I was 14 years old (had long hair) I gave myself the Beetles' cut. My mom was upset and said that I'll have to give God an account for cutting my hair so I told her that God saw me cutting it and he didn't stop me so i guess it's ok.

I had that hair cut for years.