Honored Contributor

Bearded guys versus doggos

[ Edited ]

just reinforces my preference for kissing animals   ;-)

Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals

• A study found every sampled beard had bacteria in them
  • Half had bad bugs that were hazardous to human health 
  • Dogs tested proved to have lower levels of microbes 

It's bad news for hipsters but men with beards harbour more germs in their whiskers than dogs carry in their fur, scientists say.

The alarming news follows a study that found every sampled beard was crawling with bacteria, and nearly half had bugs that were hazardous to human health.

By contrast, a number of the dogs tested proved to have lower levels of microbes. Now men have been left bristling with fury, with claims that the results stem from pogonophobia – the irrational fear of beards.

In the study, scientists wanted to discover whether there was a risk that humans might pick up a dog-borne disease from an MRI scanner that was also used for examinations by vets. Researchers took swabs from the beards of 18 men and the necks of 30 dogs, across a range of breeds, and compared the results.

A study revealed that beards have more bacteria in them then dog hair. Scientists found that nearly half the sampled beards had bugs that were hazardous to human health

Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland's Hirslanden Clinic, said: 'The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men's beards compared with the dogs' fur.' The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, but only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts. The remainder had moderate levels.

Seven men were even found to harbour microbes that posed a threat to human health.

After the MRI exams of the dogs, the scanners were disinfected and showed a 'significantly' lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans.

'On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,' said Dr Gutzeit.

But Keith Flett, founder of the Beard Liberation Front, which opposes discrimination against the hirsute, cast doubt on the report.

'I think it's possible to find all sorts of unpleasant things if you took swabs from people's hair and hands and then tested them,' he said. 'I don't believe that beards in themselves are unhygienic.

'There seems to be a constant stream of negative stories about beards that suggest it's more about pogonophobia than anything else.'

Honored Contributor

Re: Bearded guys versus doggos

@feline groovy  I read that!  These guys with these long (ungroomed) beards, they just look so gross.

I read that they (some) had faeces bacteria in them!  I hope that's rare but who knows!

I've seen men with well groomed (very short) looking beards.  When my late husband got out of the Army in the early 70's he grew a short beard but I hated it.

He did what I often see males doing.  They constantly have their fingers and hands near their noses (I think it tickles or something).

I finally put the word to him..."Don't come near me til you shave that thing totally off".  We were young and had only been married a few years (get the idea) so he was like..."I'm going in right now and shaving".  Ha!

I know some women like it but I don't.  I just think it looks dirty.  Again, I'm not talking about those very short stubs men (younger one's) have.  I'm talking about a beard....and don't you get me started on mustaches....ugh!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a strong disliking for hair below the cheek bones...all the way down. I rather not see it period. 

Remember that song Hair?

"Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas, (yeah) a hive to bees, (yeah) a nest for birds
There ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my
Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair"

...and the phrase:  "Grass doesn't grow on a playground".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ewh that's so gross but you are probably right. DH has facial hair. LOL!!! It's not long like that. I could not deal with that. Even when he shaves it off I don't notice it since it's been like that so long. He has mustache, sideburns, beard but beard does not hang down from his chin. It's clean up. He keeps it groomed.

I used to have hair down to my rear so it probably had some of that going on also. I did wash it every day.

Honored Contributor

I hate long unruly beards! Blech!  I do like short trimmed ones.

Esteemed Contributor

Who did they test...homeless?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

The Duck Dynasty guy's beards always grossed me out.

Esteemed Contributor

There's a difference between beard1.jpg

and 

beard2.jpg

I'll take beard #1, please.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I don't know a lot of men with beards and mustaches, but the few I do know "shampoo" their beards and mustaches in the shower ... and they shower every day.  

Respected Contributor

Eww!😳😂