Honored Contributor

Currently I have bead board on the bottom half of my bathrooms walls, painted a light sage green.

I am going to add tile at the sink area, behind the mirror to the corner of the wall and to the ceiling.  I don't want the room to feel to busy, what type of tile would you use?  

My plan is to go white on the tile, the walls that are not beadboard are white. 

I have looked on line, subway was my first choice but I am concerned about to many patterns.

I could use the removable wall paper in a grass cloth finish.

thanks

Esteemed Contributor

I like the white on white tile option. I'm not a big fan of subway tile however I've seen it placed in a diagonal/herringbone pattern and it was simply beautiful! I also saw a tile that is called "mermaid or fish scale". It's a scallop cut tile. That looks stunning. Can you tell that I'm a DIY show fan? The subway tile that is in the mini cut is nice. I've seen that in a variety of colors and it has an ombre effect. White would be stunning.

Hope this helps. 

Respected Contributor

Do you have tile shops in your area? Tile looks different in person than in a picture. Something you never thought of might appeal to you in person. Did I read your post correctly, you are going to tile the ceiling? If so, why?

Honored Contributor

@Janey2   I am not tiling the ceiling, just taking the tile clear to the top of the wall....I probably was not clear.

Respected Contributor

I like subway tile as long as it's the larger subway tile.  But, personally for me, I wouldn't put subway tile anywhere in a bathroom besides the shower.  It really depends on the look you're going for and the size of the bathroom.  What type of flooring do you have in there?  Go to several different tile stores, bring home samples and play with them.  I'm gearing up for a simple update to a powder room.  Right now it has burgundy walls and a gold ceiling with antique looking vanity (all from previous owners).  Going to paint it accessible beige SW), put in a white vanity (the one with shelf on the bottom) with either a solid white quartz top of quartz or a quartz with tan carrera marble look to it with new toilet and lighting.  I thought about doing tile and beadboard but it's small.  Ther powder room has hardwood flooring in it.  If you're like me, you'll change your time a hundred times before you decide on the final look.

Honored Contributor

My bathroom is not tiny but could get to busy looking if the tile is not right.

I would not be tiling the area behind the mirror if the person that did the skim coat would have done the job I expected.  It is a tad rough in spots and the tile would hide those issues.

I was never stuck on tile..maybe I will just do a light color grass cloth...I like a little texture, and the paper would also hide his handiwork.

The removable wallpaper would work for me...and that is something that DH and I could do ourselves.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs:  Would wallpaper be a problem with all the steam from the shower?

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Is this a guest bathroom? If not, and the shower is used daily be careful with wallpaper. Steam will make the wallpaper peel over time. Where it peels might get moldy.

Contributor

Hello Momtodogs, if I were you I wouldn't do tile or wall paper just yet.  I would first try and sand (with sand paper) the rough areas unless it's too difficult a job for you to do.  When our bathroom was updated my walls were a problem.  A border that was impossible to remove and various other permanent cut outs from previous owners.  I used taping compound (what they use for dry wall seams) and a good size puuty knife to apply it.  I did a light texture all over the walls and trouble spots.  Covered beautifully and then painted with a semi gloss.  That was 6 years ago, held up perfectly, and looks beautiful.  Think it through, IMO bead board and tile, I don't know.   

Honored Contributor

@rmb    @Janey2   @Hoovermom 

I had the walls re-done professionally, ha, ha....  They did just an OK job.  

I had the entire bath  papered for years that is why it needed a skim coat.  I never had an issue with the paper lifting, it was just time for a change.

The worst parts of the bathroom walls are the corners and edges.  I was pretty good at asking questions when I hired the company and they did have to return to fix a couple of issues.  I went with flat walls, and would NEVER have flat walls again they show every imperfection in the walls...even tho the paint company and the contractor pushed for flat walls...next time I need to go with my gut instinct.

The house is 45 years old and all walls have a slight sand texture on them, that is what I am used to and like, if there is an issue with the wall, it barely shows.

I tend to agree with tile AND beadboard....texture overload.