Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,508
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I look at this picture and wonder why anyone would want to put an 82ft Blue Whale out in the desert?  I have absolutely no idea where it is, have never heard it mentioned in New Mexico.   I think it's very strange but Meow Wolf, an art collective that so popular they've built branches in other cities, has many off-the-wall exhibits. 

 

1000002629.jpg

 

REMOVAL OF LINK

Not Many People Know about this Life-sized Whale in New Mexico Made from Recycled Plastic Trash

Meet Ethyl the Whale, an impressive 82-foot-long, life-sized sculpture of a blue whale, proudly holding the Guinness World Record for the largest recycled plastic 

Crafted by San Francisco artists Yustina Salnikova and Joel Stockdill, this mammoth creation serves as a poignant symbol to raise awareness about the environmental impact of plastics, aptly named after its polyethylene composition. Originally conceived for the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Ethyl found a new home with the Santa Fe-based art collective Meow Wolf in 2019, where it now stands majestically in the New Mexico desert, inviting visitors to explore its colossal form both in daylight and nightlight where it is illuminated.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,387
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@Kachina624      Just HAD to look this up!    Her name is Ethyl.

 

You can walk all around Ethyl to explore the enormous work of art, and also enjoy it illuminated at night.

 

Know Before You Go

Ethyl is located on the back side of the Santa Fe Community College campus, so drive around on the loop road and you can't miss her.

 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎02-13-2024

Interesting!! 🧐

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,204
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

@Kachina624

 

I will let my son know about this.  He travels back and forth across country a few times a year from MD to CA and hits other states in between. He's an artist and his shows and work take him many places.  He would think this is awesome.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,652
Registered: ‎11-08-2020

@Kachina624 that should be on the waterfront in Halifax or Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg, Nova Scotia!!!  It is amazing.  The blue whale is endangered but they are found on the east coast of Canada.

 

Halifax has done a really lovely job developing its waterfront and it is full of art.  Wouldn't that be a conversation piece!!!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,508
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@bmorechick.  Your son would probably be fascinated with Meow Wolf.  I can't describe specifically it but you can Google it.  It's an interactive art display and quite extensive.  Has won lots of awards.

 

My grandson, in his 20s and from Texas, brought his girlfriend to Santa Fe for her birthday just to see Meow Wolf.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,508
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

 


@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Kachina624 that should be on the waterfront in Halifax or Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg, Nova Scotia!!!  It is amazing.  The blue whale is endangered but they are found on the east coast of Canada.

 

Halifax has done a really lovely job developing its waterfront and it is full of art.  Wouldn't that be a conversation piece!!!


@Lilysmom1.  Halifax would be perfect.  Send a BIG TRUCK and come get it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,508
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

 


@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624      Just HAD to look this up!    Her name is Ethyl.

 

You can walk all around Ethyl to explore the enormous work of art, and also enjoy it illuminated at night.

 

Know Before You Go

Ethyl is located on the back side of the Santa Fe Community College campus, so drive around on the loop road and you can't miss her.

 


@Desertdi.  Next time I'm in Santa Fe, I'm going to go look at it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,387
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@Kachina624 wrote:

 


@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624      Just HAD to look this up!    Her name is Ethyl.

 

You can walk all around Ethyl to explore the enormous work of art, and also enjoy it illuminated at night.

 

Know Before You Go

Ethyl is located on the back side of the Santa Fe Community College campus, so drive around on the loop road and you can't miss her.

 


@Desertdi.  Next time I'm in Santa Fe, I'm going to go look at it.


@Kachina624     My husband used to insist on stopping at all those "Historical Site" road signs.   Drove me nuts.     I would love to see art work, tho!     

 

I was at the unveiling of the Chicago Civic Center  Picasso!     di

 

Provided by cookcountyrecord.com

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor
Posts: 70,508
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Desertdi.  You need to visit Santa Fe.  More galleries than people.

 

I love those roadside historical signs and, whenever possible, always stop to read them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment