Honored Contributor

🚗Be sure car battery stays charged 🚗

I recently came across a reminder to be sure to drive your car at least once a week, even if you're otherwise home, to be sure your battery doesn't drain.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Re: 🚗Be sure car battery stays charged 🚗

Yes!  I started my car the other day as I hadn't driven for a few days.  Will do it again tomorrow.

My car is 3 years old, but you never know.  I also keep the Halo car charger in my trunk just in case.

When you live alone, you gotta be ready for anythingWoman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005   My car will be 3 yrs old this August.  I was thinking about getting one of those Halo chargers for myself as I plan on getting a few as x-mas gifts.

Even though I have AAA Plus & FREE road service which came w/my car warranty.  I want to cover all bases for that "piece of mind."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@roeroe1005   My car will be 3 yrs old this August.  I was thinking about getting one of those Halo chargers for myself as I plan on getting a few as x-mas gifts.

Even though I have AAA Plus & FREE road service which came w/my car warranty.  I want to cover all bases for that "piece of mind."

I just wanted to tell you that the 2 years that I’ve had my Halo it has NEVER been used.  Two weeks ago my friend needed a jump,  Hooked it up and bam her car started.  Kept its charge the whole 2 years its been sitting in my car in a very hot climate.  Get one!

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I have AAA also.  And Subaru has their own version.  But you still have to call and wait until they come to you.  And it never happens when you are just hanging around.  You could wait 1/2 hour or 2 hours.  Used to be clockwork - the first snowy day as soon as my car turned 3.  And I always seemed to be in the parking lot at work & everyone gone.  Grrrr. 

With the Halo, I can take care of it myself.  Last summer, my sister was parked at my house.  She goes to start her car, nothing.  In the time it took her to call her husband, I had started her car w/my Halo.  

For me - even if I use it only once, the peace of mind is worth $100!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach- I just told my DH this the other day and he looked at me as if I was being a bit crazy (he's not mechanically minded, is an understatement).  We've been ordered to stay home (by our Governor) until May 1st, but I said we still need to drive the cars and my truck at least once a week to keep the batteries charged.

I hope people remember that and that you need to drive it at least a few miles, not just let it sitting idling in the drive.

Like others, we can go out for essentials (grocery store), so we can use it for that.

Trusted Contributor

up Re: 🚗Be sure car battery stays charged 🚗

We alternate which car we drive when we do grocery pick up at Walmart or we just drive the neighborhood. It is good for both the car and you to get out.

Respected Contributor

Good advice mentioned again. I bought a new car mid November and the first of the year it would not start. I took it to the dealer and the battery was ok but living close to town a couple of miles in and out I was not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. I am retired so do not drive much.Bad I am sure for the exhaust system.

They recommended  Trickle  Charger which  cost me $78 and that has been working well. I just need to remember to unplug. LOL.

Valued Contributor

I also have a halo.did not use for a year & then car battery died.It started car on first use, so fast & so easily to use.Would definitely recommend.Mine had been charged and left in car for almost year.
Anyone interested , I think I saw it on sale last week.
Take care & stay safe
Regular Contributor

This is a good reminder.  I haven't driven my car in a week and earlier today I thought "time to at least start it."  I once had rats take up residence in my car because it sat while I was on vacation for a week.  That was good and costly.  I think I'll just drive my neighborhood today and do that every few days