Respected Contributor

Re: Be mindful if you use devices like Alexa...

[ Edited ]

Alexa(and all this technology)reminds me of the seashells, thimble radios and flat screen TVs in the 1953 Novel, Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury. Apparently several of his predictions about a society in love with technology are coming  or have already come true!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover @If you have smart tv or cell phone it can be listening or worse watching you....google it.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot imagine I would say anything to Alexa that I would not want anyone to know.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Now that really made me laugh...LOL   Amazon workers are free to listen to anything and everything I say around Alexa.  I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral or even interesting....LOL

Hahaha!  My thoughts exactly!  If AMZN workers listened to my Alexa commands, they'd fall asleep. LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

Those things are monitoring your home 24/7, not just when you give commands. I wouldn’t put one in my house if they offered it for free. Creepy!

Honored Contributor

A friend has a smart tv and swears they get ads etc. in the mail after watching certain tv shows. They are elderly and don't use a cell or computer. It's funny yet not funny because they say the tv must be spying on them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Amazon says it still values its customers' privacy.

@qbetzforreal , hehe.  LM

@Lilysmom that's what they said. lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey wrote:

People can go into the Privacy settings and turn it off. 

You think it really turns it off?

Just like location (on phones, tablets etc.).... It says off, but it's really on.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

I just read an article today at MSN news - Bloomberg titled:

Amazon Workers Are Listening to What You Tell Alexa

DH and I personally have no interest using these new devices, but be careful of your privacy. Keep in mind, as technology expands into every aspect of your life, the less privacy you will actually have.

Some folks don't care if everything is out there for the whole world to know...

DH and I have our boundaries.

I have no interest in having something in my home like Alexa.  I totally agree with you about technology.  There are a lot of people that don't care.  Just look at Facebook some people post every aspect of their life lol.  I deactivated my facebook years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

Those things are monitoring your home 24/7, not just when you give commands. I wouldn’t put one in my house if they offered it for free. Creepy!

Same here.