Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be mindful if you use devices like Alexa...

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I wonder if they understand Pomeranian/Papillon, Papillon/Chihuahua and Domestic Short Hair.  That is what is most likely to be overheard.

@Marp ....Hahahaha!...I'm so very impressed!...I had no idea that you were so well versed in so many languages! Cat Very Happy

@MyShadowLove, not so well versed.  I can usually get along quite nicely with No.  Stop.  No Bark.  Quiet.  Get out of here. Wait.

Beyond that I give up lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I just asked Alexa if she's listening to everything I say. Her response "No, only when you say my name". 

I do have my privacy settings set appropriately. 

@FrostyBabe1 

I hate to tell you I've heard Alexa respond even when no one says her name....She's lying (my relatives/friends can confirm this)and sounds like she's becoming more human too   😒 

Well, clearly it was a canned reply and a joke. My Alexa will light up if the wakeup word comes from the TV, but I've never had any other issues. I've had my privacy settings set to not allow voice recording since I've had it, and when I review my history, there's never anything there. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

i won't have one in my house.  i value my privacy too much.  you never know who is listening and why.  even ifyou do not have anything to hide, it is still too much .

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I wonder if they understand Pomeranian/Papillon, Papillon/Chihuahua and Domestic Short Hair.  That is what is most likely to be overheard.

@Marp ....Hahahaha!...I'm so very impressed!...I had no idea that you were so well versed in so many languages! Cat Very Happy

@MyShadowLove, not so well versed.  I can usually get along quite nicely with No.  Stop.  No Bark.  Quiet.  Get out of here. Wait.

Beyond that I give up lol.

@Marp ...I love it!....I'm sure, with some imagination, it can make for some very interesting listening for Alexa!...Beyond that, I better just give up myself and leave it at that!...Hahahaha!

So good to meet up with you tonight! Cat Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

I just read an article today at MSN news - Bloomberg titled:

Amazon Workers Are Listening to What You Tell Alexa

DH and I personally have no interest using these new devices, but be careful of your privacy. Keep in mind, as technology expands into every aspect of your life, the less privacy you will actually have.

Some folks don't care if everything is out there for the whole world to know...

DH and I have our boundaries.

@Susan Louise  Thank you for trying to be helpful.  I made a similar comment a couple of years ago about these devices (people working behind the scenes) being able to listen and was subjected to the same ridicule.  Don't let it get to you.  

Thank you Jean Louise Finch.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon says it still values its customers' privacy.

Respected Contributor

It's not just things like Alexa that have the ability to listen in.  Any smart device like tv's, smart phones, etc. can be programmed to listen.  It doesn't matter if you think your privacy settings are high, they can still be used to listen by techies who know how. Those hackers who find our financial info, SS #'s, can over-ride any security that you think are keeping you safe.  

My good friend's two sons work for high tech companies.  They both have told her to keep the lens covered on her phone, tablet, all smart devices when she's not using it.  Not only can you be listened to, you also can be seen and you won't know it's happening.   Have you ever stepped out of the shower to answer your smart phone or make a call while dressing or undressing?  If so, there may be photos of you, without clothes, floating around! So, cover the lenses!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

And there are how many millions of Alexas  in service all over the World????  I should worry!!!

I was a telephone operator years ago.  Yes, you could listen BUT YOU DARE NOT REPEAT IT!

My first job after graduation was with the New York Telephone Co. as an operator.  I went in on  a line and a woman was screaming so of course I stayed tuned in, turned out a family member died suddenly and she was hysterical. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Amazon says it still values its customers' privacy.

@qbetzforreal , hehe.  LM

Honored Contributor

FWIW  she only listens after the wake word and the light comes on