Respected Contributor

Re: Be mindful if you use devices like Alexa...

I just asked Alexa if she's listening to everything I say. Her response "No, only when you say my name". 

I do have my privacy settings set appropriately. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

My husband and son are hardware/software  engineers.  They both told me to never buy an Alexis.  My husband told me that our privacy is too important us. 

Honored Contributor

All these devices that you can ask a question are creepy. 

Honored Contributor

It’s also phones, tv’s etc.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I just asked Alexa if she's listening to everything I say. Her response "No, only when you say my name". 

@FrostyBabe1  Just don't allow yourself to be blindsided in a few years by more and more security breaches.

There is a great article online titled:

Why protecting privacy is a losing game today—and how to change the game

Esteemed Contributor

I just heard that amazon employees have chat rooms where they share amusing, funny things they have overheard.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Now that really made me laugh...LOL   Amazon workers are free to listen to anything and everything I say around Alexa.  I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral or even interesting....LOL

@chrystaltree   Here too.  Anyone listening in on what's said in my house would die of boredom.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter and I asked the phone some questions like if it was spying on us and it said I can not answer that.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I just heard that amazon employees have chat rooms where they share amusing, funny things they have overheard.

Nothing illegal here.  You just can't reveal Who, What, When or Where!  Can't call names or places!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1  Just don't allow yourself to be blindsided in a few years by more and more security breaches.

There is a great article online titled:

Why protecting privacy is a losing game today—and how to change the game

Yeahhhhhh. That's not going to happen. I know exactly what I'm doing. Not sure why you thought I needed to be admonished, but hey - it's the Q boards so carry on. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~