Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be honest, can you parallel park?

I did, but not anymore.  The way I learned to parallel park was when backing up as soon as I saw the license plate on the car in front of me is when I turned the wheel to slide into the space.  It worked every time.  Today I wouuldn't even attempt it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Regular Contributor

Yes, very well.   Backing up a trailer not so much.  Lol

Contributor

Of course.  It was required when I took my driving test back in 1969.  And I parallel parked my dad's 9 passenger Impala station wagon to boot for the test!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I can, though I don't have to do it often here in Southern California.

Honored Contributor

Sure can!  I've always driven a stick and for many years had a huge 4 wheel drive with no power steering so after being able to handle that everything else is easy!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No I can't.  It's not required for our driving tests.  I avoid areas where that's the only parking available.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea, it's been so long that I've had to.  I think I would be scared.

I have neighbors that can't even park off the street (no curbing), and they are from NY.  Constantly taking up a whole lane of traffic, and no parallel other than off the street.

I remember days when cars had no passenger side mirror.  Boy was that dumb!  I still crane my head around to merge right, but that mirror is certainly an assist.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I have a panic attack when my husband parrallel parks, I would not even attempt it, but then I no longer drive unless there is an emergency!

Esteemed Contributor

I can do it for sure.  I also lived places where they drive on the other side of the road and I can do it on the other side with the steering wheel on the other side too.

Honored Contributor

Definitely.  I learned to drive in NYC.  Not only can I parallel park in the tightest of spaces, I can park it in seconds to get out of traffic.