Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be honest, can you parallel park?

I used to be very good as I lived in the city where this was required daily. We had a driveway but only one car could park in there at a time so I often had to park on the street where this was required. 

However after not having to PP for almost 15 yrs, I had to last week and it took me way too long. 

I hear there are cars now that do it for you.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Sure can - either side of the street.  This portion of the driving test failed me oh SO MANY years ago but I got it the 2nd time for my test.

I'd be way so inclined to do this myself rather than trust a vehicle to do it for me automatically. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Yes I can. Learned early and before I got my license. Was very few other ways to park before shopping centers and malls hit the scene, thus not much side by side parking.

The advent of power steering sure makes it much less physical now, but for some, it is mentally a big challenge.

Practice, practice, practice, it does get easier.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Nope, I failed it on my driver's test 40 years ago and have never felt the need to revisit it!

Frequent Contributor

Yes!  That was part of drivers' education many years ago.  If you couldn't parallel park, you didn't pass.  My daughter is still amazed when we need to parallel park, and I can easily do it.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Yes, I can parallel park.

I may be eligible for bonus points as I can parallel park on either side of the street.  I grew up in area/city with a lot of one-way streets so being able to park on either side of the street was a necessity.

I will admit having side mirrors that tilt down so you can see the curb REALLY helps a lot.  What a great invention - that was NOT available for my driving test 25 years ago!!

Back in the day when I lived in the city, yes, I was a rock star.

Now, not so much.

Avoid it like the plague.

Honored Contributor

YES I CAN!  I have been challenged a few times to "ok, YOU park it!" and did it!  If they had it in the Olympics, I'd have medals!!!

Yes, I am BRAGGING!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I used to be able to, but it's been so long that I don't think I would be able to do it now, even with the back up camera on the car.

If I can't pull into a space, then I don't park there, I'll find another spot.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I can and very well, thank you.  My father taught me how to drive, park, etc.    Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Yes, as long as it's not a really tight space.