Honored Contributor

Re: 😲 Be careful what you wish for..... 😮

I used to like the TV show "Who Do You Think You Are".  It was interesting because (I don't want to go into it here) but several celebrities actually found out things were not as they thought it was.

I can't find out who it was but one celebrity actually found out (and he let it air) that the person he thought was his mother was actually not his mother but took him to raise as her own.

Esteemed Contributor

I,  like many others, have tried to find unknown relatives from DNA testing centers.  Unfortunately for me, I have never found anyone who has more than a 1.0 relationship with me.  

When people use these services, they should be aware that they may find things that have been kept a secret or are shocking to them.  While this women's mother was devasted, it may be that she actually knew that the doctor was the biological father of her daughter.  It will be interesting to see the doctor's response to the lawsuit.

Anyone who participates should be prepared for the good news, bad news, unexpected news, and shocking (or should I say devasting) news.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I really do not understand where all this emotional trauma is coming from (except probably the lawyers imagination.)They were well aware there was donor sperm being used.
What's the difference that is was this doctor's instead of some college student?

Because the couple asked specifcally for a donor with very specific characteristics and that did not happen.  Instead, the doctor took it upon himself to "donate" telling them he had found a donor with the specific characteristics they had asked for.  He did not.  Nor did he tell them what he had done.  They had no input as to whether or not they wanted this doctor participating.  Very.... very creepy IMHO.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac

Image result for cat meme WOW

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I really do not understand where all this emotional trauma is coming from (except probably the lawyers imagination.)They were well aware there was donor sperm being used.
What's the difference that is was this doctor's instead of some college student?

@151949  The difference is that this couple specifically requested the donor be a college student.  They did not get what they contracted for.

In fact, this doctor made extra profit by not having to pay a donor.

The trauma of the daughter finding out she was artificially conceived is understandable but I don't feel it's worth millions.

However, the deception by this doctor is fraud.  He took their $$ with acceptance of their conditions; he broke that contract.

It's not worth millions either but they deserve some compensation.

The lawsuit regarding the doctor being the father is just and right.

The lawsuit regarding the daughter finding out he is her bio dad is not.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Regarding the actor Jack Nicholson....

"In 1974, Time magazine researchers learned, and informed Nicholson, that his "sister," June, was actually his mother, and his other "sister," Lorraine, was really his auntBy this time, both his mother and grandmother had died (in 1963 and 1970, respectively). On finding out, Nicholson said it was "a pretty dramatic event, but it wasn't what I'd call traumatizing...I was pretty well psychologically formed."

Above info can be found on Wiki.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Can you imagine finding out you are related to a poster here??  I'm just sayin'.

Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley Tongue

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

@Isobel Archer Yes, you continue to get updates on relatives. You just need to sign into your account and you will see any new matches that have turned up. I literally get new matches every day.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

Has anyone had ancestry testing done?  I have not, but my understanding is that it tells you your ethnicity (Northern European, Native American, etc.), not matching your DNA with any individuals.  DNA matching of the kind in the story sounds like what is done when someone is looking for an organ transplant.  It sounds mixed up to me.  I am skeptical.

If you sign to have it matched AND they signed to have it matched it will be. If both parties did not sign it won't be matched. So it is only done with consent.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Can you imagine finding out you are related to a poster here??  I'm just sayin'.

Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley Tongue

You would not know because you don't know the people here names.