Respected Contributor

Re: 😲 Be careful what you wish for..... 😮

@makena wrote:

I wonder if people will have to start signing disclosures or something.  Another thing that bothers me is that family relatives are signing up for this stuff without the consent of parents, brothers and/or sisters

I don't see how any adult could be required to obtain consent from another adult to have their own DNA tested and matched.

No one has to consent to having their DNA matched.

Now if mom fooled around and daughter finds out the man she thought was her father isn't - because her bio father has also registered, well I guess that's too bad for mom.

Honored Contributor

With the advancements in DNA it would seem those wanting a child would choose to be tested prior to attempting to conceive. I would not thank my parents for bequeathing me some genetic disability that could have been discovered prior to my conception.

Respected Contributor

Friends of a friend of mine found out that one sister of a sibling group had a different father than the others.  Surprise!  Mom admitted to having an affair and never told her husband (now deceased), who thought all the kids were his.  Can you imagine?  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I really do not understand where all this emotional trauma is coming from (except probably the lawyers imagination.)They were well aware there was donor sperm being used.
What's the difference that is was this doctor's instead of some college student?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The parents didn't want just any donor and paid the clinic for a donor that met their specifications. The doctor cheated them, lied to them. What he did was outrageous and unethical.

I may have misunderstood but I thought the parents’criteria were “tall, brown hair, blue eyes, college graduate” which the doctor appeared to have matched. Unless explicitly excluded, would there be a legal, moral, or ethical reason for him to exclude himself?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The parents didn't want just any donor and paid the clinic for a donor that met their specifications. The doctor cheated them, lied to them. What he did was outrageous and unethical.

I may have misunderstood but I thought the parents’criteria were “tall, brown hair, blue eyes, college graduate” which the doctor appeared to have matched. Unless explicitly excluded, would there be a legal, moral, or ethical reason for him to exclude himself?

The parents requested a college student, not graduate, over six foot, not just tall. If they wanted the doctor, they would have ask him. If the doctor wanted to be the donor, he should have, was ethically required to get their approval.

The parents expected, had every right to expect, their identity would be unknown to the donor, this was not the case. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@violann wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The parents requested a college student, not graduate, over six foot, not just tall. If they wanted the doctor, they would have ask him. If the doctor wanted to be the donor, he should have, was ethically required to get their approval.

The parents expected, had every right to expect, their identity would be unknown to the donor, this was not the case. 

@occasionalrain  You are correct.  They requested a college student.  The doctor did not meet all of the criteria that the parents had asked for-and cut his own costs by using his own sperm. 

He gained profits beyond his services as a doctor because he did not have to pay a donor.  His fee certainly had to have included a payment to the donor had he used one.  IMO that alone was fraud.

The issue here is the doctor did not use donated sperm matching what the parents requested; whether the parents should have told the daughter that she had been artificially conceived doesn't matter.  Nobody in 1980 would have foreseen the future with Ancestry or any other DNA website for one thing.

I don't think that this is worth millions of dollars but certainly the parents are entitled to some compensation strictly for the deception by the doctor.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What I don't understand is why the doctor put his DNA info out there with Ancestry - knowing something like this could happen.

My DH's family had a similar situation.  Two neighbor children turned out to be their cousins.  Apparently their uncle was friendly with the neighbor.  My DH had always suspected this, but now everyone knows.  And there is some uproar.

I just sent mine off.  Wonder what surprises await.

@Isobel Archer  I sent mine off too, about a month or so ago.  I wonder how long it takes to get results.  I started a thread about this somewhere but can't find it now.  My cousin's daughter, adopted from Chile, found her bio mother and a half-sister, who now live in Argentina.  The bio mom died at 49, meaning she had this girl when she was just 17.  Apparently, she got married and had another girl who, I hear, looks like an identical twin to this cousin.... They stay in touch every now and then.

It should be interesting.  I was adopted and never told about it.  My cousin who was also adopted, accidentally slipped one day and told me when I was probably around 40.  My parents both died without ever knowing that I knew I was adopted.

My only concern is that I might find out I have children out there, that I never knew I had.  Otherwise it's all good.

Super Contributor

@sandy53 I have had my DNA tested through Ancestry. They tell you your ethnic heritage and you also get thousands of matches with relatives. I think it is great. I have connected with cousins all over the world.

Respected Contributor

For those who have done this.  Do you continue to get notifications of matches if relatives register after you've received your initial results?