Respected Contributor

Re: Be careful what you wish for.

On 1/11/2015 kdgn said:
On 1/11/2015 croemer said:
On 1/11/2015 cody2 said:
On 1/11/2015 kdgn said:

One of the problems as I see it is that the unions will back officers who have demonstrated "bad" behavior. During the funeral, seeing all those officers turn their backs on the mayor, was so disheartening. It was a complete show of lack of respect for their fallen officer. It was encouraged by the union.

I disagree. I felt the opposite...a show of respect for the loss of their lives.

Exactly how I feel. They showed their displeasure the way they could...for a Mayor that ran on an anti-police campaign and has continued his disrespect for them.

I disagree vehemently. The funerals should have been about the assassinated officers-their lives, their devotion to duty, their families, the loss felt by all. Instead there were photos of turned backs, articles that barely mentioned the funerals and focused on the beef between the union and the mayor. The union didn't take into consideration what their own police commissioner asked of them. That is disrespect towards the fallen officers. They deserved to have the day and news focused solely on them.

It wasn't. The officers demeaned their fallen brethren and themselves.

I agree with you, kdgn

~Enough is enough~
Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Caravaggio said: Well I say G-d bless the NYPD and I wish some would remember what these men and women do to keep my second home safe. I know I appreciate their presence and hard work as I make my way everyday around the city.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

BTW,How should a P.O. "earn" respect?

" excuse me sir, would you kindly stop pointing that gun in my face? Thanks in advance.."{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 croemer said:
On 1/11/2015 RetRN said:

The mayor is the culprit here. These poor officers are spit at, sworn at, attacked with hatchets, belittled, and abused day in and day out, and even shot at and killed. Some of you seem to think the mayor and the criminals are the good guys. Sad. So many police officers really go out of their way to help people and get no credit. Respect these heroes! Who will you call when you are robbed, attacked, in an accident, or need help in any kind of emergency?

Amen RetRN!

True, I have a neighbor who complains to the town officials about every little thing, yet would be the first to call for protection if his life/property were in danger. We need to understand that police officers have to make immediate decisions and don't have the benefit of hindsight. Sure, some things are handled poorly, but overall, most try to do a good job.

Respected Contributor

Before the funeral of Officer Lui, the family requested respect and no protests at the funeral, the police commissioner asked that they respect their uniform and fallen brother, none of this mattered to those who turned their backs. It was an embarrassment to the department and the city. There are many candidates to the police academy who are well qualified to get in but cannot due to legacies. If you don't want to do the job, make way for someone who does.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

On 1/12/2015 reiki604 said: Before the funeral of Officer Lui, the family requested respect and no protests at the funeral, the police commissioner asked that they respect their uniform and fallen brother, none of this mattered to those who turned their backs. It was an embarrassment to the department and the city. There are many candidates to the police academy who are well qualified to get in but cannot due to legacies. If you don't want to do the job, make way for someone who does.

I thought Officer Liu's family did not make a public statement about a police protest and only the police commissioner made the request.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

The did not make a statement after the funeral.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

On 1/12/2015 reiki604 said: The did not make a statement after the funeral.

To my knowledge the family did not make that statement before the funeral. If they did I would like to know where you read this because everything I've read has not made mention of any statement by the family, only by the commissioner.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Well, reports today say they have ended the "slowdown."

They have come to their senses.

Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Justice4all said: Several police were assassinated. Good people. Obviously, police are dealing with brutal situations and some brutal people will be attracted to violence in choosing an occupation. Just like some pedaphiles can be found among teachers or some firebugs among firefighters. But these are rare.

I read this article and thought about your post again (this is a bit OT so my apologies).

From WaPo dated Jan 6:

"A former acting director of cybersecurity at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) who said he was interested in the rape and murder of children has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for child p0rn0graphy charges.

Timothy DeFoggi, 56, formerly of Germantown, Md., was convicted in August of engaging in a child exploitation enterprise, conspiracy to advertise and distribute child p0rn0graphy and accessing a computer with intent to view child p0rn0graphy, according to a Justice Department press release.

“Using the same technological expertise he employed as Acting Director of Cyber Security at HHS, DeFoggi attempted to s3xually exploit children and traffic in child p0rn0graphy through an anonymous computer network of child predators,” Assistant Attorney General Caldwell said in a statement."

DeFoggi used Tor, software designed to protect Internet users’ identities, to access a child p0rn Web site between March and December of 2012, when the site was shut down. But he didn’t just look…"

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Apparently the NYPD is da..... if they do and da.. if they don't handout tickets. Smaug you are correct they did not make a statement concerning the conduct of the police prior to the funeral. The only statement was that of gratitude to the police and fellow supporters.