Honored Contributor

Re: 😲 Be careful what you wish for..... 😮

@makena wrote:

I've been waiting for something like this to happen.  It's not a good thing, IMO.  Besides, I don't want my DNA out there .... who knows if those companies are selling it and to who.

@makena  There is also the possibility (probability?  certainty?) that at some point they will be hacked and the info. available who knows where and used for who knows what. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I really do not understand where all this emotional trauma is coming from (except probably the lawyers imagination.)They were well aware there was donor sperm being used.
What's the difference that is was this doctor's instead of some college student?

I think i would feel the doctor  was not truthful, that would really bother me.

But "really bothers me" is not millions of dollars worth of emotional trauma.

If he used his sperm instead of the father and said he was using the father's - that would be different. And they were content all these many decades with the child they had , so it's not like they got a baby that had something wrong with it. 

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@makena wrote:

I've been waiting for something like this to happen.  It's not a good thing, IMO.  Besides, I don't want my DNA out there .... who knows if those companies are selling it and to who.

@makena  There is also the possibility (probability?  certainty?) that at some point they will be hacked and the info. available who knows where and used for who knows what. 

Unfortunately the companies that start these things and people that rush to join in for funsies, never stop to think of the repercussions down the road.  People are wayyyy to quick to put their privacy on the line.

Honored Contributor

DNA testing is in the horse and buggy days.  Who knows how much and how soon even more information can be obtained.  And once it is out there, it is out there.

And nobody guarantees you can "fix" it is your data is linked.  They can already determine your face shape and things like that from testing.  Criminals in your family tree might target you; your health information could be sold and companies could target you for products; insurance companies getting your genetics might refuse to insure you or up the rates or limit the benefits--all sorts of things could happen.  Espeially 10, 20 years from now.

People won't give their phone number but will give their DNA. . . I don't understand that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I really do not understand where all this emotional trauma is coming from (except probably the lawyers imagination.)They were well aware there was donor sperm being used.
What's the difference that is was this doctor's instead of some college student?

I think i would feel the doctor  was not truthful, that would really bother me.

But "really bothers me" is not millions of dollars worth of emotional trauma.

If he used his sperm instead of the father and said he was using the father's - that would be different. And they were content all these many decades with the child they had , so it's not like they got a baby that had something wrong with it. 

@151949

A thinking person would surely wonder just how many times the Dr. saved himself the donor fee by using his own ‘swimmers’ ? !!

The poor woman must surely be wondering just HOW MANY half brothers and sisters she may have running around.  What if one of her children marries one of them?  The possibilities would certainly worry me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Can you imagine finding out you are related to a poster here??  I'm just sayin'.

Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley Tongue

You would not know because you don't know the people here names.

@151949  If you are searching for people matching your DNA you could very well end up meeting that person. 

"Hi-some of my hobbies-posting on the Q".

"Oh me too!  No wonder we are related. We like the same things.  What's your nic"??

LOL

btw:  It was a joke

"watches post zoom right overhead"  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

As to sperm donor children marrying siblings - I'd think that was always a problem.  How would you know - since the "privacy" concerns of the donors were paramount.

Maybe with Ancestry - there will be even more unpleasant surprises in store for such children.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You know this is unethical, coming from the medical field, or so you say.

You know what the difference is.

Are you being contrary to get this thread closed too?

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I used to like the TV show "Who Do You Think You Are".  It was interesting because (I don't want to go into it here) but several celebrities actually found out things were not as they thought it was.

I can't find out who it was but one celebrity actually found out (and he let it air) that the person he thought was his mother was actually not his mother but took him to raise as her own.

Was it LL Cool J?