Honored Contributor

Re: Be Careful What You Say Around Echo Devices

I had an Echo (miss it and am still mad that I broke it) and now have a Dot (gets the job done but it's no Echo).  I am not surprised to read that these devices are more active than advertised.  Mine is only plugged in when I will be interacting with it (listening to radio programs, podcasts, tunes) but then I unplug it.  What skeeves me out are the stories about people having conversations and then all of a sudden there are helpful ads for the topic being discussed.  It's just me so I don't have to worry about conversations but man cell phone snooping is a biggee for me.

Super Contributor

I use my Alexa to play music in the living room and my Dot as a timer in the kitchen.  My daughter uses her Alexa to order items from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I have an Amazon Echo...today I asked Alexa if she spies on me...her reply was " I only pass along to Amazon any orders you give me...for privacy concerns consult your Echo paperwork".  Creepy.

Trusted Contributor

I was talking to DH one morning and mentioned I didn’t feel well....all of a sudden, our Alexa said “I’m sorry you don’t feel well, maybe a cup of tea will help.” No prompting at all....one time we were just watching TV and the Dot began laughing....not a funny kind of laugh, but a very creepy laugh.....so, yep, they are tracking everything....ours is now in a box in the closet....😳

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess

That's why I only talk to myself. 

Respected Contributor

Good grief, this broadcasting of private conversations by tech devices is scary...like inviting the burglar in so they don’t have to jimmy the lock.