Respected Contributor

We sent a birthday card containing a check  - deposited in a mail box outside the post office - on Sun Apr 3.  On Monday Apr 4, the check was altered (different payee and with a significant increase in amount) and cashed.

We reported this to the bank, the Postal Investigative Service and to the local police.

I read an article where theft from mail boxes is increasing at an alarming rate.  Apparently, it is safer to mail inside the post office.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be Careful Mailing Checks

Thats why I do my bill paying online and now I send money for Birthdays and Holidays through my bank.....

Hasn't happened to me...but has to friends I know.....

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Thats why I do my bill paying online and now I send money for Birthdays and Holidays through my bank.....

Hasn't happened to me...but has to friends I know.....

We do online banking too.  I haven't tried Venmo, but I have used Paypal to send money to someone's account.  That may be the way to go in the future.

Respected Contributor

This happened to us a few years ago with a bill we put into the drive-up mailbox in the Post Office's parking lot. While we pay most of our bills online, there are still a few that we pay with checks. Now we put any "mailers" in the mail slot inside the Post Office lobby. While the mailboxes in our neighborhood are in locations that are readily visible during the day, there isn't much activity near them at night, making them easy targets for thieves. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer,

Thanks for posting this!

Enjoy The Weekend Happy Saturday
Trusted Contributor

I don't mail cash or checks in the mail anymore. I use Venmo. It's kind of sad you can't mail someone a birthday card with money in it like we used to. My daughter's mailbox at her apartment complex in CA has been broken into twice since they've lived there. They are getting a PO Box. Since my family has spread out recently and we all don't live in the same state anymore we've had to get creative when giving money for birthdays or Christmas.    

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer   I'm saying this to you and to all who may read your post and mine now.

It is now totally UNSAFE to use the area stand-alone mail boxes. While this is convenient for many of us, it is no longer safe to use these boxes. 

People out there among us think it's okay to break into these boxes and steal items and packages we put in them.

Last fall I guess it was, I went to the closest USPS in our neighborhood, there's a box right outside this building to drop things into. What did I find? This box had a yellow police tape around it, it had been damaged and stuff had been torn, ripped open and stolen - remnants were still on the ground. From that point forwrd I now take the time to drive to and go inside with everything I mail out albeit a letter, a card, a bill or ten, and packages. I also stand in line to get a receipt with tracking number for every package I mail. 

Those stealing fools will NOT get their hands on anything i mail out.  Do not use those boxes, yes it may on occasion be a hassle but at least I know someone is not stealing my stuff.

Trusted Contributor

I pay most of my bills online. There are 2 that I mail checks for and so far, no problem. My apartment complex has a mailbox with apartment numbers only and a narrow slot for outgoing mail. It would be extremely difficult for anyone to get into the box. I have used Venmo on occasion to send money for birthdays, etc. No problems with that either. 

Honored Contributor

I honestly can't remember the last time I mailed out a check.  I do it online through my credit union.  I also use Venmo if I need to send someone money.  There are many out there who don't feel safe with doing banking online but it's now not safe to send by mail.  It's very sad how this world is going.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Apparently, it is safer to mail inside the post office.

@Isobel Archer  This is not a new discovery...I would never put mail in an outside box. Most people should take a few minutes  and walk a few steps to put outgoing mail inside the mail drop in the post office.  Lesson learned I guess. Seems obvious to me in today's economy of theft and robbery of mail.....