Super Contributor
Getting some ideas for bathroom remodel.
Glass door or shower curtain?
Smaller bathtub or standard size?

I have a very small bathroom. And it's the main one of the house. I'm thinking of shortening the tub to put a storage cabinet or shelves at the end. Not sure how to post a picture so you can get a visual.
Esteemed Contributor

After experiencing a very frightening incident with a family member and glass shower doors the only way I would consider them is if the shower was very large.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

After experiencing a very frightening incident with a family member and glass shower doors the only way I would consider them is if the shower was very large.

Oddly, I was going to reply to this thread advocating for glass doors, or something substantial (I think only glass doors answers that spec). I'm not super steady on my feet and that solid surface and the grab bar have saved me from more than one fall in the shower. Since I live alone, that could be disastrous. 

I do respect your relative's experience, of course. Just wanted to note mine, in case the OP had similar issues. I'd love a shower curtain and was going to take out my doors, but as things have turned out, am so glad I didn't.

I can enthusiastically recommend the Drive tub mat with suction cups and a shaped end that fits neatly around the drain hardware. It's comfortable, it doesn't travel, and I've found it easy to clean. It's a good long size. I think white is the only color. Great for sensitive feet. I know that's not a remodel item, but just FYI.

The title of this thread suggested all kinds of possibilities. . . Cat Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I've had both - doors and curtain (currently) and would never have the doors again - what a (*& to clean.    Double curtains - pretty on the outside and when the liner get yucky - toss it in the trash.  And...suggest you stay with a full side tub - even those don't have a whole lot of room. 

Honored Contributor

Doors too hard to keep clean in my opinion and not at all worth the effort.

A small bathroom with no storage stinks (I know I have two), so if you can stand the smaller tub to get some storage place, I'd do it. We don't take a bath anymore so having a bigger tub really isn't important to us anymore, and maybe wouldn't be for you.

Oh, just re read my post and for those that might think it, yes we do take a shower!

Honored Contributor

I was going the curtain route in my master bath and was told water gets on the floor with curtains.  I ended up going with the glass door.  I don't have issues cleaning it, other than I dislike cleaning the bathroom.  My mother has the curtain and water inevitably leaks out.

If you can't go with a standard size tub, I'd go with a bigger shower.

Honored Contributor

I would take out the shower, put in the biggest tub that would fit with the shower included for that option. The best of both worlds. 

Super Contributor
http://pin.it/mkHKUNE
I don't know if that works or not. But the bathtub is small with the shelving at the end.

I've had leaks before with shower curtains, but it's just because I didn't shut it all the way. Seen liners with magnets at the bottom to help close any gaps.
Honored Contributor

How small would the tub be? If resale is a consideration and this is the only bathroom with a tub, a too small one may limit buyers. I know that a nice size tub is important to me.

Respected Contributor

I've had shower curtains and glass doors in various houses over the years. I much prefer shower curtains because you can change styles and colors whenever you want and cleaning the bathtub is easier. With glass doors at the very least they should be wiped down and dried off after every shower or they look spottty and a film may develop. Then you have to clean or dry the metal track in which the glass door is mounted/slides because water can collect in it. I've never had any leaks or drips because I use a long liner that is on the inside of the tub while showering The fabric curtain hangs outside the tub. and is really only decoration.